Mac Book Air 2020 or Mac Book Pro for Xcode Programming?

Reaction score
Hello - I'm not sure if this question fits here or in the programming section but I want to learn to code in Xcode for basic app development and I would like to get your guys perspective on whether the new MBA 2020 would be powerful enough to efficiently run Xcode or for that level of programming or whether I should spring for the more powerful Mackbook pro.

This would be my first foray into the MacOS ecosystem and I just want to make sure I make the right choice.

Any feedback in greatly appreciated!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Any current Mac, including the MacBook Air and Mac mini, are easily powerful enough for Xcode app development.

C

Reaction score
Thank you! If I did get the more powerful pro would I see any tangible benefits from say having a faster processor or 32gbs of RAM vs the 16gb?

Thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Yes, a MBP is faster than a MBA. You may see a speed increase for some things, but not for most basic functions like Internet, email, and office-type applications. Processor-hungry professional apps like Final Cut Pro X and high-end gaming is where you would see a speed difference. Processor and graphics processor is where these speed gains would come from.

More RAM is good when you have multiple applications open simultaneously more than anything. It does help a bit for things like Final Cut Pro X and maybe some Xcode rendering, when the applications can take advantage of it. The MBA and MBP 13-inch come with 8 GB and can be upgraded to a max of 16 GB. The MBP 16-inch comes with 16 GB and can be upgraded to 32 GB or a max of 64GB. The RAM in all of them is not user-upgradeable.

Here are a couple of articles that may help as well:
-Which MacBook Should You Buy? MacBook Air vs MacBook Pro
-MacBook Air vs MacBook Pro: What's the best MacBook?

Honestly, any would work for you. It comes down to personal preference with the design, usage, budget, etc.

Hope that helps,

C

Ask a Question