SOLVED Password problem on 2013 Macbook Air

Reaction score
I have lost the use of my MacBook Air through making a password change. The change went through normally - no problem - but when I rebooted the password for my user was refused. (there's only one user plus guest). Thinking I had misremembered the new password I followed instructions to reset the password using Apple ID. Again, all went through perfectly, but again, trying to re-boot failed with the password. I tried the other method proposed: power off, then power on again. Exactly the same - all works and password accepted, but re-booting fails. Literally a dozen attempts with both methods makes no difference. Am I missing something?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello.

-Which model MacBook Air?
-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-How did you change the password initially?

This may be difficult to resolve via these forums and you may need to visit an Apple Store and/or contact Apple Support directly. Apple takes security very seriously, and it sounds like you have performed the normally suggested steps we would offer.

We'll still see if we can help,

C

Reaction score
I should have noted that the macBook Air in question is using Mojave 10.14 I keep it parallel to my Mac Pro, which is on 10.14.6 but as the Air is dormant for much of the time it may not have got to 14.6

The Air is late 2013 model - more than that I cannot say.
Th initial change of password was via Security & Privacy -- System Preferences

Thanks for trying anyway - but if Apple Support should be necessary what is the best way of getting to them?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

The way you changed the password may be part of the issue. Normally, you would change it in System Preferences... > Users & Groups > click on user > Change Password... button, change it, then immediately restart. Though, I do believe the two ways do the same thing.

The best ways to contact Apple Support are at a physical Apple Store, or Contact Apple Support via chat or phone for your location.

C

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

The way you changed the password may be part of the issue. Normally, you would change it in System Preferences... > Users & Groups > click on user > Change Password... button, change it, then immediately restart. Though, I do believe the two ways do the same thing.

The best ways to contact Apple Support are at a physical Apple Store, or Contact Apple Support via chat or phone for your location.

C

Reaction score
Very grateful to you for your efforts Cory. I finally got a result - and this must be a warning to others because I count myself blameless. Looking through past problems of this nature, there was a case where caps lock button was accidentally set, and so the password was not recognised. I decided to check that, and found that mine was clean of caps lock possibility. While testing the caps lock idea, going through the procedure for the Nth time, I saw something odd. There is a screen that says 'If you have forgotten your pw continue'. Below, but before the continue button there were three options one of which was 'I forgot my password" pre-selected as the default. Well, I didn't forget my pw - I got it dead right but it was being refused. So, on all my attempts I was choosing the option 'My password is refused at startup ' (not verbatim - I forget). It was a very long shot, because if you choose anything but the default "I forgot my pw" you should not be using those options, because the intro information for that page is incompatible with the page contents. However, choosing the default solved the problem -- I think. To be sure of not misleading you, I should add that the password I had been trying to establish is complex - meaningless, and with upper and lower case. As this takes time and special care, I chose a very simple one - expecting failure once again - but it worked. The complex one is the same as that used on my Mac Pro, which changed with no problem at all, and it is also on Mojave 10.14. I hope I have not wasted your time and that knowing of this loophole might be useful. Thanks again. Ed Singer

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...just didn't want to recommend something that would make things worse. No waste of time at all...thanks for posting the full steps and solution, as it may benefit others in the future.

Glad it's resolved,

C

Ask a Question