Having strange password problems trying to sign on to my iMac

Reaction score
I have a 27" iMac, and have kept up to date with all OS X and Safari updates, including the one just a few days ago.

The other day I encountered a problem with a new MS word update: the requested password for completing the update was repeatedly rejected, although after a while it proceeded nonetheless.

Yesterday, after a period when my computer went to sleep from a period of disuse, I found I could not sign on using the password I was using for several years. After many tries, I did get in. I used the available Mac utility, which could just check permissions; and needed corrections were completed. I shut the computer down and restarted, and the same problem happened again, finally the desktop opened, but then I had repeated requests for passwords for iCloud (which I almost never use) and other passwords. I gave up and shut the computer down.

I do have a backup connected, and know there are some ways to reset a password (although I haven't tried any of these yet), but am both puzzled -- what exactly is the problem? ...and somewhat concerned -- does this sound like my computer has been hacked?

any feedback would be appreciated.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
In Finder press Shift Command U to open the Utilities folder.

Launch Keychain Access then press Opt Command A.

Run the Verify/Repair tasks, it might just sort things out.

Reaction score
The steps Spawn_Dooley stated are accurate. However, after you press Opt Command A, you will be required to enter your password. Hopefully, it will be accepted.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I used the available Mac utility, which could just check permissions; and needed corrections were completed.

If you didn't already, you could try booting up holding Opt (if that doesn't work try Command R), just upon hearing the chime, then going into Recovery HD, if it shows up in the Startup Manager, then navigating to Disc Utility via the Utilities Menu & repairing Permissions.

This is different from running Disc Utility from your internal drive & sometimes can help solve problems if you unmount your internal drive as is the case when you boot into Startup Manager.

lionrestoremodestartup-386-245879.png

Ask a Question