• Any

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Technical

• Software

• Total voters
Reaction score
I recently bought a used iMac (all-in-one; I'm new to Macs) from the Surplus Store. Because of not knowing the previous owner, I have no idea what the passwords are.
I need to know if there is a way to delete the passwords, if not the user also, without having to take apart the computer just to change the hard drive and install a new OS just use it.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-You don't know any of the passwords, correct?
-Does it automatically login to any of the accounts?
-If so, can you find which version of OS X/macOS it is running in  > About This Mac?

Depending on the version of OS X/macOS, you can either perform an erase and install, or older versions allow you to reset passwords from the Recovery Partition.

C

Reaction score
Thanks, Cory. I actually stumbled on to the password because of the hint. But, it's always good to know all the options. I would still like to remove the user and get it into my name. But right now, I'm learning how to navigate and find files and apps.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

If you know the password of an admin account, you can create a new account and give it admin rights in the Users & Groups preference pane. Then, logout of the current user, login to your new admin account, and delete the other one.

C

Ask a Question