Where is my Gmail password stored?

Reaction score
Hello there,

I'm running Mail 11.5 under macOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra) and I have only one Gmail account (IMAP) for which I don't remember the password. So I cannot use Webmail to check my folders there.

However, I can send and receive mail from the Mac, so the password must be stored somewhere.

From Mail / Accounts, clicking on Details, I see the account's email address ((e-mail address removed)), description (Google) and my user name (xxxxx). But no option to set or change anything except the last two items, or delete the account.

Using Keychain Access (10.0) I could uncover several passwords for Airport, Time Machine or Webform. But none for IMAP.gmail.com or smtp.gmail.com.

Where else could the password be kept?

I can easily reset the password by going to Google. Then, how to change it in the Apple mail account?

TIA.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I think the best way to go about this would be to reset the password on the Google website. Once that is done, you should be able to change the Gmail account password on the Mac using the Internet Accounts preference pane.

C

Ask a Question