iCloud Password

Reaction score
Hi...
Every time I switch on my computer I get a pop-up message telling me to enter my iCloud password, but I didn't even know that I have an iCloud password! I have entered just about every password I have ever used for other things but none of them work. Also, I always get this message twice, when I eventually have to click on cancel, it pops up a second time a few seconds later, which I have to cancel as well. Can anyone tell me where I would find the iCloud password, or how I can change it, or even request a new one...?

Cheers

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Sounds like you had setup an iCloud/Apple ID account at some point. If you have an Apple ID account you use to purchase apps or music, it may be that password.

Check in:  > System Preferences... > iCloud and see if you have an account setup there.

If youdo, and don;t remember the password, you can reset it here: If you forgot your Apple ID password

Let us know how it goes,

C

Reaction score
Thanks very much Cory for your fast response... I do have an Apple ID password, which I tried but it doesn't work. I then remembered that some time ago I changed my password so I tried the old one but that didn't work either. This is why I'm puzzled... my Apple ID password is current and I use it all the time... as I said, I've tried every password that I've ever used, just in case I used one of those for iCloud, but no success...

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

-Did you check iCloud setup?
-Can you upload a photo of the pop-up?

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory
I'm not sure where I find the iCloud setup... here's a screenshot of the pop-up....
Screen Shot 2019-07-06 at 12.33.53.png

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

As I mentioned previously,: Check in:  > System Preferences... > iCloud and see if you have an account setup there.

If you cannot remember that password, go to iCloud and click the Forgot Apple ID or password? link to reset it. It will ask you the security questions you set when you signed up.

If you don't use your iCloud account for syncing Contacts, Calendars, etc. to iCloud and any iOS devices or other Macs, you could try signing out of iCloud in the preference pane above.

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory...
Yes, I checked and I do have an iCloud account and everything backs up to it but, the problem is, I haven't forgotten my Apple ID, I use it all the time but, when I receive that pop-up message it doesn't accept it as my iCloud password... and I can't seem to find any way of finding out what the real password is... it's certainly not my Apple ID password. Is there a way in iCloud settings to get a new password, I can't see a 'forgotten password' option...?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
One more thing to try...don't try to enter the password in the pop-ups, Cancel them until they stop showing up, then go to the iCloud preference pane and try to enter the password there.

Also, there are these steps: iCloud keeps asking for password (iOS and OS X); fix

As always, we advise that you have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data.

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory... I think I'm going to give up with this! I did as you suggested and went into the iCloud settings and entered my apple ID there and it worked! I was able to open everything up and check my settings, etc. but, I always close the computer down overnight and, this morning when I switched on again... there's that same message... twice as usual. I haven't tried the 'asking for password' link that you sent yet, so I'll give that a go and see what happens... thanks for all your help so far! Cheers, John

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...

Let us know how the steps in the link go.

Also, check in  > System Preferences... > Users & Groups > you user > Login Items. Is there anything in there related to iCloud/iCloud Drive?

It may also be something in your Keychain...maybe an old/duplicate iCloud entry?

C

Ask a Question