2013 MacBook Air - Shuts off when unplugged, Won't charge above 14%

Reaction score
Hello. I have just purchased a used MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013) which is currently running OS X Yosemite Version 10.10. I purchased it just 2 days ago, and this morning I noticed that if I unplug the charger, the machine just shuts down. If I try to boot back up without the charger, it doesn't work. If I plug it in, it turns back on and works fine, just as long as it stays attached to the charger. The batter is currently at 14%, so it should be enough to be self-sustaining without the charger, but no luck. And further, the battery seems stuck at 14% and it says that the batter is not charging. I have tried with a different charger, so it is not the charger that is the issue. coconutBattery says the Full Charge Capacity is 7000 mAh, current charge is at 999 mAh. The battery manufacture date is 2018-05-26, the battery status is Good. I'll attach a Power system report below for more info.

I have tried a PRAM and SMC reset already using the keyboard, but not taking out the battery (not entirely sure if this model has a removable battery). Anyone have any other suggestions?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 3.06.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 3.06.40 PM.png
    236.3 KB · Views: 215

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It sounds like a possible issue with the battery, I/O board, or logic board. I would lean toward the battery or I/O board. If the SMC reset didn't help, and the battery doesn't take a charge, then it is more likely a hardware issue. Because the MBA will power off when AC is removed, it is most likely the battery, even though it is reporting normal status.

Technically, it isn't a user-serviceable battery. The MBA battery is fragile, and can be very harmful if removed and/or punctured. Because the cells are exposed, it isn't recommended for users to mess with it.

Hope that helps,

C

Ask a Question