MacBook Air takes an impact

Reaction score
My 2013 MacBook Air fell from a table onto hardwood flooring and took quite the impact. Upon boot up, I still hear a chime and backlight of screen comes on, but it ends on a light grey screen with black vertical lines, one of which I can track back and forth along the screen.
I understand the logic board may need replacing, however I have read that reconnecting a loose connection may be a saving grace. Could someone please advise. Thank you

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Unfortunately, that description sounds like the display is cracked. Could you upload a photo, as we may be able to confirm?

C

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. Here is a photo

Attachments

• 9120E4BC-0CB7-4A41-A8C6-2C810A940BFC.jpeg
    9120E4BC-0CB7-4A41-A8C6-2C810A940BFC.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 152

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

That doesn't look like a cracked screen at first glance. Normally, there is more discoloration and an obvious impact point that the lines radiate out from when there is damage to the display, and the lines don't move. I think the line that tracks may be the cursor.

It could be a loose connection, but more likely it may be the logic board. It's not recommended that users service their own Macs, as other internal components can easily be damaged, and the battery can be very harmful if punctured.

You could attempt to reseat the display connector, but I doubt it will fix the issue. Plus, the bottom case requires a pentalobe screwdriver to remove.

If you have an external display and adapter, you could connect them to see if the issue is replicated. If so, it's the logic board, if not it's the display panel.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to respond!
I tried plugging it in to an external display and it didn’t work. I have pentalope tools, and am confident I could install a replacement logic board. Any suggestions on where to source an inexpensive second hand option? eBay?
Thanks again!

Ask a Question