Locked out of my own Mac account (PLEASE HELP)

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Air on macOS Big Sur. I logged on today and found something weird. my Mac completely forgot all WiFi networks that is usually remembers. It also forgot all the save data for a steam video game I play. I logged out of steam and went to watch YouTube on safari and it went fine. then I decided I wanted to play some more video games so I tried to open steam. I discovered that it wouldn't let me open steam and said that the application was blocked. I have no parental controls on my computer and it was a personal computer connected to a personal wifi network. I tried to open several other applications and they were all blocked. I tried to software update my computer and the update failed even though I had connected to the WiFi. Then I logged out of my computer. I tried to log in later and it said incorrect password. I don't have a password for my Mac and usually just click on my account on the login screen (the one where you can select a user to log in as). please help I can't log into my Mac.

Reaction score
my dad tried resetting the p-ram and now it's stuck on the select language screen. when I select a language it freezes and reboots. I have no idea on how to log in and with my extremely limited coding knowledge I think the password data has been somehow wiped. can anyone help me log in to my computer and recover access to my applications?

Reaction score
my dad tried resetting the p-ram and now it's stuck on the select language screen. when I select a language it freezes and reboots. I have no idea on how to log in and with my extremely limited coding knowledge I think the password data has been somehow wiped. can anyone help me log in to my computer and recover access to my applications?
Try resetting your SMC. Not knowing the exact model of your Air, the general procedure is to shut down, connect the Mac to your power source, hold down Shift-Control-Option (lower left of keyboard) and press the power button for a few seconds. Then boot into Recovery by pressing power again and holding down Command-R. If you successfully get to Recovery, you can reinstall macOS. You need to be connected to wifi at this point. Check the menu bar to ascertain. Proceed and see if the installation worked. Good luck.

Because of the parameter RAM (PRAM) reset, you may have to re-enable TRIM afterwards.

Ask a Question