Renaming a locked external HD

Reaction score
The password I created does not work anymore on my external HD.

I think it's because I've changed it’s name. Since I can't see my HD on my desktop or finder, I can't rename it. I

I've tried to change the name in disk utility but didn't find a way. Could some help me.

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
The password I created does not work anymore on my external HD.

I think it's because I've changed it’s name. Since I can't see my HD on my desktop or finder, I can't rename it. I

I've tried to change the name in disk utility but didn't find a way. Could some help me.

Thanks in advance
My guess is that you renamed it in Finder by activating the name field and typing in the new name. I don’t understand why Apple still allows us to do that. That information is kept in a couple of places, not just in Finder, so conflicts like this do occur.

Are you able to see the device in Disk Utility? If you can locate it, right-click on the device on the sidebar and choose Rename. The name field on top will become active and you can type in the desired information.

Screen Shot 2022-03-19 at 08.26.25.jpg

Reaction score
I have this option but its grey, so I can't rename it
I think I see what’s happening. It’s locked, somehow. On my system, if I choose the rename command from the sidebar (as I recommended) on my startup disk, it does not work either. But if I click on the name itself, the process works.

If the device name is greyed out in the sidebar, it’s probably unmounted.

Maybe my startup drive has FileVault turned on, because it works on any other drive on the list. I’m just surprised that I can manually rename my startup drive, but doesn’t work on other system drives (external) with FileVault enabled. Play around with it, but I advise against renaming your startup disk. I haven’t done a lot of renaming of drives only because I think it can be problematic.

Hope it works for you.

Reaction score
I think I see what’s happening. It’s locked, somehow. On my system, if I choose the rename command from the sidebar (as I recommended) on my startup disk, it does not work either. But if I click on the name itself, the process works.

If the device name is greyed out in the sidebar, it’s probably unmounted.

Maybe my startup drive has FileVault turned on, because it works on any other drive on the list. I’m just surprised that I can manually rename my startup drive, but doesn’t work on other system drives (external) with FileVault enabled. Play around with it, but I advise against renaming your startup disk. I haven’t done a lot of renaming of drives only because I think it can be problematic.

Hope it works for you.
Thanks

Ask a Question