Selecting and Renaming Files

Reaction score
I have a deceptively simple problem that I can't figure out how to solve. I'm working on a project studying Congress. I've downloaded all of the bills from a specific Congress (111th). Within the folder for the 111th Congress are thousands of folders named for each of the bills (eg hr1, hr231, hr9821). The bills numbers do not have consecutive numbers. Within each of the bill folders is file with the name "data.json". Every file has the same name.

I need to copy several hundred of these files and change there names so that they are not identical and then convert them to a more usable format. I've figured out how to use automator to change the names quickly.

Here's my question. How do I select hundreds of folders without manually going through and selecting them? I could do this but the process is time consuming and I inevitably make mistakes. I have in an spreadsheet the names of all of the folders I want to copy.
Thanks,
Josh

Ask a Question