Keybinding issues

Reaction score
Hi There

I have just bought a mac mini my first as I'm usually a PC person due to liking video games. I am using a mini alongside a KVM to switch to my main PC for gaming easily. My Issue is I have an issue I am completely stumped at I have a Razer Blackwidow Elite Keyboard, which works perfectly well besides 1 big issue and that is my symbol Keys.

The profile is set to British as I live in the UK and my £ sign works on shift 3 as it should as do all my shift 14567890 but shift 2 should be " but is bringing up @ and my @ key is bringing up " but the other symbol on my @ key works fine '. My Hash key \| only brings them symbols non of which are assigned to that key and I can't for the love of my find where that symbol is. The keyboard layout is set to European and trying different keyboard layouts doesn't help.

So any further help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Hi There

I have just bought a mac mini my first as I'm usually a PC person due to liking video games. I am using a mini alongside a KVM to switch to my main PC for gaming easily. My Issue is I have an issue I am completely stumped at I have a Razer Blackwidow Elite Keyboard, which works perfectly well besides 1 big issue and that is my symbol Keys.

The profile is set to British as I live in the UK and my £ sign works on shift 3 as it should as do all my shift 14567890 but shift 2 should be " but is bringing up @ and my @ key is bringing up " but the other symbol on my @ key works fine '. My Hash key \| only brings them symbols non of which are assigned to that key and I can't for the love of my find where that symbol is. The keyboard layout is set to European and trying different keyboard layouts doesn't help.

So any further help would be appreciated.
Looks like you can use an app that remaps keyboard characters. I type using the Dvorak keyboard layout but the one that comes with macOS is far from what I need, so I turned to this freeware app, Ukelele.app. I was able to create an extensively modified “.keylayout” file which you install in /Library/Keyboard Layouts. It then becomes one of the available Input Sources in System Preferences.

Honestly, I created this layout file about 10 years ago so I’m not very familiar with how to work it anymore. All I remember is that it was fairly easy to learn. The author still maintains it and updates are easily available as a download whenever you launch the app if you don’t have the latest version. Here is the screen capture of my custom Dvorak layout. Cheers!

Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 09.38.07.png

Reaction score
Hi

Thank you for your reply. Somehow I've no idea how I just thought what the hell and tried the British - PC and even though the keymap that is shown indicates that the layout is even worse than the standard British it seems to have done the job.

Still wish it could use the windows key for I don't know function or something.

I am noticing the number of similarities in keyboard commands between windows/linux and mac but why can't they use the control key instead of the command key

Reaction score
Hey

Yup that worked I didn't think it would given the demo layout was inaccurate to my layout but turns out it worked anyway

TYVM

Ask a Question