MSI RX 580 Issues! PLEASE SAVE ME!

Reaction score
If anyone out there can help me PLEASE! I’m ready to pull my hair out….

I have a Mac Pro 5,1 Mid 2010 Dual 3.46 ghz 6 core Intel Xeon

It is my main rig for a commercial recording studio and I’ve been down for over a week struggling with a simple update to Mojave. I purchased a MSI RX 580 4g OC from a guy on marketplace, when I got it home I was able to get my firmware to the 144.000 , installed Mojave and a Gigabyte Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 card. I had to install Open Core in order to get the Thunderbolt card to see my Apollo 16 audio interfaces. I had a black Screen with the RX 580 until I installed open core, then I got the boot screen. I was stoked, thunderbolt worked and seemed great. Then I began to have screen issues, they would go wacky and then freeze up. I disconnect one of my HDMI monitors and seemed to be ok. Then I began to work in pro-tools, that’s when all hell broke loose. I started to get random crashes and now it’s constantly crashing. The screed will have artifacts that look like an old Atari or something and the whole thing locks up on me to where I have to power down hard. I’m over a week into this and I need help.

Is the Graphics card flashed with a custom bios? Maybe used for Mining or something?

Did The thunderbolt cards EFI somehow screw with the apple OS?

If there is a way to check the bios and make sure it’s ok or reset it to factory please help! I’m on my own here, I don’t have the budget to buy another Graphics card at the moment. Any help would be so gratefully apriceated!

Zach

Attached is a pic of the screen issues I’m getting when it locks up and crashes

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I checked that card on their website and it isn't macOS compatible out of the box. Because of the age of your Mac Pro (Mid 2010), a lot of the technology in the card is much newer than the hardware and software drivers in the Mac Pro, which could lead to incompatibility issues.

I am surprised that you could get the Gigabyte Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 card to be recognized and communicate with the Apollo x16 interface as well, since Thunderbolt was a very new Technology when your Mac Pro was released.

There are several websites that list EFI and other "hacks" that allow for newer graphics cards to run on older Mac hardware. I don't have any experience with flashing PC graphics cards or any EFI/custom kext drivers/Open Core for non-supported hardware.

Depending on what DAW you are working with, it may be a very difficult to get the cards to play nice, especially if you are using Pro Tools. Pro Tools is infamous for its system requirements, as even a simple macOS update can break it quickly. Avid is very strict about qualified hardware/software, and it can be a nightmare to keep a production system up and running.

Maybe another member here will chime in that has experience. In the meantime, you can try searching for some of the forums around that deal with Hackintoshes and BIOS flashing PC cards for the Mac Pro.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but good luck, and let us know how it goes.

C

Ask a Question