Is there a definitive view on defrag in OSX?

Reaction score
Hi all, is there a definitive view on defrag in OSX? I am running an mbp with 10.4.11 and would like to know. I have read so many conflicting opinions. I have iDfrag but not sure if I want to risk it, as iPartition is a not good software in my experience, and made by the same company. I use this mbp for A/V work, and it's the low-end new one so every bit of speed is appreciated. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hi all, is there a definitive view on defrag in OSX? I am running an mbp with 10.4.11 and would like to know. I have read so many conflicting opinions. I have iDfrag but not sure if I want to risk it, as iPartition is a not good software in my experience, and made by the same company. I use this mbp for A/V work, and it's the low-end new one so every bit of speed is appreciated. Thanks!
As you indicated, there are many conflicting opinions. The only way to know for certain is to defrag. Here is what Apple has to say about the subject.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25668-en

Reaction score
thanks wally, and interesting to not, there is only one program out there to do it, iDfrag. I guess I should try it and then be prepared to erase the disk and restore from backup if it does not work. the question then is does coriolis systems know what they are doing and is the software compatible with 10.4.11.

Reaction score
thanks wally, and interesting to not, there is only one program out there to do it, iDfrag. I guess I should try it and then be prepared to erase the disk and restore from backup if it does not work. the question then is does coriolis systems know what they are doing and is the software compatible with 10.4.11.
According to Coriolis, iDefrag is compatible with Mac OSX 10.3.7 or later. So, I guess we're going to find out. My guess is that unless you've used up most of your hard drive space and work with very large files you will not notice a big difference, if any. Before you defrag I recommend keeping a log on how long it takes your Mac to perform certain tasks, start up and open apps and files, etc. Good luck!
http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iDefrag-2.php

Ask a Question