iPad is disabled

Reaction score
Hello,

My sister recently passed away and her iPad came into my possession. It hadn't been started in over a year and when I charged it - the screen says "iPad is disabled" Right below that it says "connect to iTunes"

I can't get it to do anything. Its got a full charge - but no amount of swiping or poking will get this sucker to let me in.

Looking for advice that will keep me out of the line at the mac store.

thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

First off, our sincerest condolences for your loss.

Here is a link to an Apple web page that describes the issue: If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled

Basically, the iPad is locked because the passcode was entered incorrectly six times in a row. Unfortunately, there isn't any way to unlock it to save the data. You can follow the directions to connect it to a computer and erase it, basically resetting it as if it were brand new out of the box.

Let us know if you have additional questions,

C

Reaction score
Hello all.

I followed all the instructions but sadly Im stuck. The iPad was locked to her iTunes account and something called "find my phone" which linked it there. She's no longer here to ask about the information. So Im stuck.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yes, that is a security feature built-in for protection. The only way around that is to find the password to the Apple ID. There isn't any other way to unlock the iPad. This was the subject of the dispute between Apple and the FBI in the recent San Bernadino case.

If you have access to the recovery email for the Apple ID, you could visit Recover Your Apple ID - Apple. But, if you try to answer the security questions incorrectly, or do not have access to the recovery email address, then you could end up locking that account as well.

Sorry there isn't an easier method.

C

Reaction score
I totally understand. These systems are in place so that someone doesn't access an iPad they shouldn't and keeps thieves at bay. Im wondering if the apple store could help in this instance. If I could show ownership of the iPad by my sister and her death cert? Sounds a bit morbid - but this iPad is a paperweight at best if I can't use it. Would be a shame.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
You could always ask at the Apple Store, but I am not sure that they can do anything even if they could. As was discussed with the San Bernadino case, they don't have the ability to bypass the security of the Apple ID on a locked device. However, the papers you mentioned may be able to be used to gain access/reset the password to the recovery email address that the Apple ID is tied to. That may be a better avenue to explore.

I sympathize with the position you are in. Best of luck, and let us know if you have additional questions and how it turns out.

C

Ask a Question