IMovie (not responding)

Reaction score
Can anyone help with the following iMovie issue please ?

I'm running a 2017 MacBook Pro with Ventura 13.2.1, and iMovie 10.3.5

Everything was running fine, edting etc until yesterday when I got the spinning multi coloured ball.

Have Force Quit several times, logged out, left the laptop, came back restarted etc, but still getting the spinning multi coloured ball.

The Force Quit dialogue box just says (iMovie not responding), then I force quit as stated above, but still the same result. I even left everything switched off overnight, but still the same issue this morning. As I said everything was and as been working fine up until that point.

Any quick remedy fixes, bearing in mind I'm not that tech minded.

Reaction score
In addition to the above, I've since tried the following -

Cleared iMovie Preferences
Reset PRAM
Deleted the iMovie app
Reinstalled the iMovie app

And the same issue is still there !

Reaction score
In addition to the above, I've since tried the following -

Cleared iMovie Preferences
Reset PRAM
Deleted the iMovie app
Reinstalled the iMovie app

And the same issue is still there !
Try running it in Safe Mode. I could be a conflict with a background process. If it runs fine in Safe Mode, then your task is to isolate that incompatible process. But before going through the trouble, I recommend updating Ventura to macOS 13.3. For all you know, that “bug” could have been fixed by the update.

Reaction score
All sorted now thankfully.

As 99% of my stuff in the iMovie library was already saved to external hard drives, I deleted the iMovie library. Then deleted and re-installed the app.

I’ve obviously now freed up some space and everything is back working as normal and efficiently.

Thanks for the advice though.

Ask a Question