I can't install the the latest iOS (ventura)

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm really between a rock and a hard place here. When trying to install the update automatically it will say "an error occurred during install". It then states to check my internet connection, which is stable and strong. I have enough disk space and my machine is a Macbook Air 2021, thus everything should work. I've run several malware and antivirus software and nothing has been detected. When trying to install the update from the terminal I get:

The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -1012.)

At the same time, a couple programs have stoped working fully. Skype and Chrome. Which I desperately need for work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Pedro

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm really between a rock and a hard place here. When trying to install the update automatically it will say "an error occurred during install". It then states to check my internet connection, which is stable and strong. I have enough disk space and my machine is a Macbook Air 2021, thus everything should work. I've run several malware and antivirus software and nothing has been detected. When trying to install the update from the terminal I get:

The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -1012.)

At the same time, a couple programs have stoped working fully. Skype and Chrome. Which I desperately need for work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Pedro
Can’t help you with Skype or Chrome, but let’s try the macOS update. By the way, the latest version of macOS (not iOS) is Sonoma 14.0.

The first place to try is the App Store. Select it from the Apple menu. When the main window opens, in the search field at the upper left corner, enter “macos ventura” and press return or click on the suggestion under it. If, when, the ventura window opens, click on View. In the next window, click on Get. It should start downloading the installer file.

I don’t see a listing of the MacBook Air 2021. There’s a 2020 (M1) and a 2022 (M2). In either case, you can install either Ventura or Sonoma. Your choice. Select one or the other when you enter your search in Apps Store. Results might vary depending on your location.

If you clicked on Get, it should download the corresponding installer file. If it automatically launches the installer program, I recommend quitting first. Then look for the installer file in /Applications (Install macOS Ventura.app or Install macOS Sonoma.app) depending on what you chose. Make a copy of the file in a different location. Then you can go back to the Applications folder, or better yet, reboot into Safe Mode, and relaunch the installer.

In my experience, Sonoma runs better than Ventura, even if the former was made available to the public only yesterday, especially on Apple Silicon units.

Reaction score
Hi Tony,

I really appreciate your help with this. The device I'm using is indeed a 2020 (M1) MacBook Air. After following your instructions and trying to get macOS Sonoma, the system would immediately launch the installer program and display the following messages:

Captura de Pantalla 2023-09-28 a la(s) 13.35.18.png

Captura de Pantalla 2023-09-28 a la(s) 13.35.25.png

Afterwards I tried to boot in safe mode and the pressing the shift button at startup wouldn't do it, so I tried doing it on the terminal with the following command: sudo nvram boot-args="-x"
the output was: Error setting variable - 'boot-args': (iokit/common) not permitted.

Why is this happening? any ideas?

Again, thank you for taking the time.

Reaction score
Hi Tony,

I really appreciate your help with this. The device I'm using is indeed a 2020 (M1) MacBook Air. After following your instructions and trying to get macOS Sonoma, the system would immediately launch the installer program and display the following messages:

View attachment 4878
View attachment 4879

Afterwards I tried to boot in safe mode and the pressing the shift button at startup wouldn't do it, so I tried doing it on the terminal with the following command: sudo nvram boot-args="-x"
the output was: Error setting variable - 'boot-args': (iokit/common) not permitted.

Why is this happening? any ideas?

Again, thank you for taking the time.
Looks like your location is a problem. However, were you able to get the installer file into the Applications folder? After aborting the installation, did you copy the installer file to another location?

Anyway, assuming that you do have the installer file (“Install macOS Sonoma.app”) in the Applications folder, to reboot into Safe Mode on your M1 Mac, you need to shut down. Then press and hold on the power button until the screen shows the list of startup drive(s) and an “Options” icon. Select your startup drive (probably Macintosh HD), press down the shift key and the prompt will show Safe Mode. Proceed, and the Safe Mode login screen sh!ould come up. Log in and then launch the installer file located in the Applications folder.

Let me know. Good luck!

Reaction score
Well, when clicking on "get" and after aborting the automatic installation there is no installer anywhere to be found. It is as if, when clicking on get, and after aborting the automatic installation nothing was being downloaded.

im at a loss, to be honest.

Thanks Tony

Reaction score
Well, when clicking on "get" and after aborting the automatic installation there is no installer anywhere to be found. It is as if, when clicking on get, and after aborting the automatic installation nothing was being downloaded.

im at a loss, to be honest.

Thanks Tony
No, you have to wait until the app fully loads, and then the window comes up,

Screen Shot 2023-09-28 at 14.31.15.png

after which you go up to the menu bar and quit from there. If the loading process did not finish until the above screen came up, the installer file will be automatically deleted. After you quit from here, the installer will still be inside your Applications folder named Install macOS Sonoma.app. Unless there are some basic differences between the way your Mac works from mine, a Mac Studio, the steps should be identical. And I do this all the time, when the Apps Store is the only source of the file at the time.

Make a copy of it somewhere outside the Applications folder. You will find a lot of uses for this file when you start to sense things to be “off.” Do a Time Machine backup right away, if you are set up with Time Machine, or any other backup program. Then boot again into Safe Mode and launch the copy of the installer that you previously saved. This will prevent the system from automatically erasing it after use, and that you can use as often as you need to in the future.

Let me know if I guessed right, and if the procedure I suggested worked. There are other means, more involved, but let me know if this fails to work for you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi again Tony,

Well, that is precisely the problem, the App Store will not continue with the process of downloading anything. A second after pressing on get, the automatic installation will launch and display the error messages shown above. Thus, there is no installer file whatsoever in the applications file, as nothing was downloaded.

Also, after trying to boot on safe mode, I got to the part where the MacintoshHD showed the Safe mode option after pressing shift. I chose it but the computer rebooted and overrode the command. I tried it a couple more times to make sure. I am effectively locked out of the safe mode. Why could this be happening?

Thanks again for following up on this.

Reaction score
Hi again Tony,

Well, that is precisely the problem, the App Store will not continue with the process of downloading anything. A second after pressing on get, the automatic installation will launch and display the error messages shown above. Thus, there is no installer file whatsoever in the applications file, as nothing was downloaded.

Also, after trying to boot on safe mode, I got to the part where the MacintoshHD showed the Safe mode option after pressing shift. I chose it but the computer rebooted and overrode the command. I tried it a couple more times to make sure. I am effectively locked out of the safe mode. Why could this be happening?

Thanks again for following up on this.
Okay, next thing to try… Start Terminal (/System/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app) and enter this command:

softwareupdate --list-full-installers

and it should come back with,

Screen Shot 2023-09-20 at 15.42.42.png

The list will only include versions of macOS that will run in your particular Mac model. If it does not come back with a list, try logging out and in again. In my case, when I do not get the listing, I might even have to reboot for it to work. Anyway, make a note of the version number of the one you wish to get. In my example, since Sonoma was still in beta then, the version “14.0” will give me macOS Sonoma beta. If you want an older version of, say, Ventura, you can enter, for example, “13.14.1,” and that’s what I would get, build 22G82. But all you need to note is the version number itself.

So let’s say you want Sonoma (“beta” should not appear at this stage), your next command will be:

sudo softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 14.0

Some setups might change double hyphens to an em dash. Double check and correct if needed. Enter your password, recite three Hail Marys (kidding), press return, and it should start the download. Depending on the hardware, I believe, the next step will either be an automatic reboot and installation, or it could again let you go into the Applications folder to do what you will to the app. Let’s see if this works for you.

Reaction score
Hi There Tony,

Believe or not, this is what I got after trying out that command:

Scan finished with error: Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-1012 "(null)" UserInfo={NSErrorFailingURLStringKey=https://swscan.apple.com/content/ca...ion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog.gz, NSErrorFailingURLKey=https://swscan.apple.com/content/ca...ion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog.gz, NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion=Asegúrate de tener conexión a Internet e intenta de nuevo., SUErrorRelatedCode=SUErrorCodeScanCatalogNotFound}

Have I been hacked or something?

Reaction score
Hi There Tony,

Believe or not, this is what I got after trying out that command:

Scan finished with error: Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-1012 "(null)" UserInfo={NSErrorFailingURLStringKey=https://swscan.apple.com/content/ca...ion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog.gz, NSErrorFailingURLKey=https://swscan.apple.com/content/ca...ion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog.gz, NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion=Asegúrate de tener conexión a Internet e intenta de nuevo., SUErrorRelatedCode=SUErrorCodeScanCatalogNotFound}

Have I been hacked or something?
No, more like a localization issue. Your area is probably not covered by the Apple servers we tried. One more place to check…

Hope it works for you.

Reaction score
I tried, but as soon as I tried downloading the file the automatic installer just launched again.

Thanks for all the time though Tony, I'll try to figure out what's going on.

All the best!

Reaction score
I tried, but as soon as I tried downloading the file the automatic installer just launched again.

Thanks for all the time though Tony, I'll try to figure out what's going on.

All the best!
Wait! Did you say the automatic installer launched? Did I understand that right? You should just wait until you get the splash screen to install macOS, and then simply quit it. You should end up with the installer file located in your Applications folder. From there, first make a copy of it to another location. You can use it to reinstall macOS, or create bootable installer drives, etc.

Reaction score
Hi again, yep, you understood correctly, the problem is I'm not ending with any files on the Applications folder. Basically I'm stuck with the automatic installer popping up and then getting the error message. And afterwards nothing further. Is there anything else I could try?
Maybe if its a location issue, then what would be a way to get the right list of updating servers when running the command you shared with me earlier.

Thanks again Tony.

Reaction score
Hi again, yep, you understood correctly, the problem is I'm not ending with any files on the Applications folder. Basically I'm stuck with the automatic installer popping up and then getting the error message. And afterwards nothing further. Is there anything else I could try?
Maybe if its a location issue, then what would be a way to get the right list of updating servers when running the command you shared with me earlier.

Thanks again Tony.
It feels like we have been running around in circles, but wait, have you tried using Recovery? If we tried it before, I apologize. I don’t have time to review the entire thread. In any case, if you don’t know how to boot into recovery, just power down the Mac. Then press and hold down the power key until the screen comes up with a list of boot drives and a wheel titled Options (I think). Click on that it and once in recovery you can go through your choices, one of them is to reinstall macOS. It will default to the macOS version that your Mac came with. I haven’t done it in a while so I’m not absolutely sure of the sequence.

If it fails to connect once more, turn off your wifi connection, reboot your router/modem, and then connect again. I wouldn’t be surprised if the problem was as simple as that, but it happens a lot too.

Reaction score
Hi there Tony,

I finally found a straight forward solution

1. Backed up all my files on iCloud
2. Went to system preferences
3. Clicked on reset and followed the wizard.
4. Smooth sailing from there...

Currently the automatic installer is updating to Sonoma seemingly well.

Allow me to thank you one last time. I know how valuable time can be and sometimes it really puzzles me how generous others can be with their own. Your answers kept me going there.

You are awesome.

Reaction score
How long did it take to completely back up to iCloud? I hope you have fibre. Anyway, I commend you for your patience. Cheers!

Ask a Question