How to "untie" Desktop icons from Grid on OS 10.14.6 Mojave

Reaction score
How can I go about "untying" desktop icons from a grid pattern., please?

I had a second window open on top of Desktop window which was the window I wanted to 'Sort by... "Date Added"
The system, instead, brought Desktop to the front and sorted that window instead.

This would enable me to position them where I need on the Desktop.

Sincerely, Ranger1951.

Reaction score
How can I go about "untying" desktop icons from a grid pattern., please?

I had a second window open on top of Desktop window which was the window I wanted to 'Sort by... "Date Added"
The system, instead, brought Desktop to the front and sorted that window instead.

This would enable me to position them where I need on the Desktop.

Sincerely, Ranger1951.
In Finder, right-click on the desktop and select “Show View Options.” For “Stack By:” select “None.” This will, in effect, disable snap-to-grid. The only problem is that it will spread all the stack groups (Documents, PDF Documents, Images, etc.) freely on the desktop as well. You will have to move each group into folders of their own. The easiest way to do this is by moving them into folders from the Finder window before turning off Stacks. This way, all of your desktop icons will be folders. But you can still have ungrouped items free on the desktop.

You can still sort by “Date Added” in the Desktop Finder window, but without “snap-to-grid” sorting the desktop icons will be irrelevant. You just have to manually move them around. Snap-to-grid for individual desktop items should still work by holding down Command when moving them into place.

Ask a Question