How can I browse the internet from my mac desktop while connected to a VPN for WFH

Reaction score
I have been working from home for a while and connect to a VPN then remote desktop into work.
I would like to be able to do my personal web browsing from my mac without having to disconnect from the work VPN. How can I do this? I am sure this has been asked before, but I have not been able to find an answer (probably searching for the wrong key terms).

Thanks in advance.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

You should still be able to browse the Internet when connected to your work's VPN.
  • Can explain the issue a bit further?
  • Does you employer have filtering that is preventing your use of the Internet?
  • If you are worried about your browsing history, you should disconnect from the VPN.
C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

You should still be able to browse the Internet when connected to your work's VPN.
  • Can explain the issue a bit further?
  • Does you employer have filtering that is preventing your use of the Internet?
  • If you are worried about your browsing history, you should disconnect from the VPN.
C
Hi Cory,

I connect to work using Cisco AnyConnect, once connected I cannot browse the internet from my desktop. I have to remote desktop to a server on my employers network then work/browse internet from the remote desktop connection.
It seems like it is the work VPN policy that stops me from being able to access the internet outside of a remote desktop connection. Browsers and other apps seem to not be able to reach the internet.

Thanks.
D

Reaction score
Most corporate VPN configurations have something enabled which prevents "split tunneling". This is the ability to maintain a VPN tunnel to some location, plus be able to make a connection outside of the VPN tunnel. This is done for security reasons.

Ask a Question