SOLVED Help, Replaced busted Hard Drive on Imac, Now it wont boot!

Reaction score
Hiya

Thanks for letting me become a member

I have a 2010 IMac on my floor, the ORIGINAL hard drive is broken beyond repair (plates are smashed inside) so ive replaced it with a Crucial 512gb SSD, got hold of the Mac Os that was around in 2010 and now all i get is just the apple "white screen" of death ive seen it called....

Am i doing something wrong? Can someone Help ??

Reaction score
can you put it ine either Target mode usimg Fire wide with an old mac, or recovery mode by holding down the R ken when starting up.?
alterativle do you have a System CD disk toboot from holding doan the C. Key.?
regards, Sandy

Reaction score
Ive tried what you've said (ive got the original Mac Os from 2010 on disc) and nothing happens, i get a folder with a question mark for a few seconds then a apple logo and thats it ?

im stuck now, can i create a bootable usb somehow without messing up my mac ?

Reaction score
Ive tried what you've said (ive got the original Mac Os from 2010 on disc) and nothing happens, i get a folder with a question mark for a few seconds then a apple logo and thats it ?

im stuck now, can i create a bootable usb somehow without messing up my mac ?
If you have an internet connection, try restarting into Recovery by powering up and immediately holding down the command and C keys until the Mac boots into Recovery mode. Your iMac will probably only go up to High Sierra. Start Disk Utility, select your startup drive (SSD?) and erase it and provide the name of your choice. Default, of course, is Macintosh HD. You probably can only go up to HFS+.

After the format, quit Disk Utility and then select to install macOS or Mac OS X, whichever Recovery offers up. After the installation, on restart, it will ask for your Time Machine drive, or another source of your existing data. If you have neither of these, you will need to do the setup from scratch. Use your Apple ID and password to get started. Good luck.

Reaction score
UPDATE!

I know thanks to your help can get this to recognise the new SSD… but it wants to install “High Sierra” but won’t boot off these discs that have montano lion or lion on..

Can someone , in the simplest dumbed down version possible tell me how to create a bootable usb with High Sierra on

I’m talking dumbed down to 7th grade point by point list…

I’ve never used Terminal and have no clue what to do!

Please help if you can!!!

Reaction score
UPDATE!

I know thanks to your help can get this to recognise the new SSD… but it wants to install “High Sierra” but won’t boot off these discs that have montano lion or lion on..

Can someone , in the simplest dumbed down version possible tell me how to create a bootable usb with High Sierra on

I’m talking dumbed down to 7th grade point by point list…

I’ve never used Terminal and have no clue what to do!

Please help if you can!!!
I have. MacBook Pro 2019 to assist with setting a bootable usb up

Reaction score
Neither of the above will work, i cannot find the MacHighSierra.app in the place it wants to find it ...

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!

Reaction score
im not finding the installer, its just a DMG or a PKG file
Open (mount) the DMG file of the installer. You will see the file “Install macOS High Sierra.app.” Copy it to your Applications folder. Prepare your USB stick by running Disk Utility. Format the USB stick as HFS+ and name it MacInstaller (making sure the “M” and “I” are uppercase as mentioned in the video).

Launch Terminal.app from the Utilities folder, copy and paste the complete statement below:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MacInstaller --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app --nointeraction &&say Done

Make sure you copied the entire statement (from “sudo” to “Done” but NOT the return character at the end.

Press return and type in your admin password at the prompt (don’t worry if the cursor is not moving as you type) and press return once more. Wait for the process to finish, which could take a while, depending on the speed of your Mac. When Terminal indicates that you are done, type “Exit” and return. Done. Restart and hold down the Option key. Choose MacInstaller to proceed. Good luck.

Reaction score
I’ve fixed this now… £16.99 off Amazon and it was all done bar updates in less than a hour!… thanks for everyone’s help… will be glad to see the back of this sodding thing!!!

Ask a Question