Help : Airplay stutter on apple TV

Reaction score
Hi everybody.

I have some issues with airplay on my macbook pro max 16" and i really can't figure it out...

I recently bought an apple TV and all i want is to use airplay to display videos and stuff on my tv from my mac. I have all my gear updated and an excellent internet connexion, even on wifi (around 500Mbps, stable).

All videos from my mac just stutter a lot when displayed via apple tv airplay. I can't understand why and have tried everything I could (reset completely my mac, my apple tv, try to use very very low resolution, numerous reset of the router, etc.). I have also contacted apple assistance and they don't seem to know what to do.

Note that on my iphone, however, no problem at all. From this device, videos looks fine on TV, but at the only condition that "match rate" and "match range" options are both activated on apple TV settings. If not, videos stutter too.

I don't understand why these options fix the stutter problem on my old iphone but not on my MBpro.

If someone have already encounter such issues and have a solution, I would be grateful...

Thank you!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sounds like it may be something on your local Wi-Fi network, since your Internet connection and iPhone are working normally.
  • What brand/model router?
  • How is your Wi-Fi network setup - 2.4 or 5 GHz, what type of security, etc.?
  • Are you using AirPlay to stream video files directly downloaded to your Mac, or from TV/Music applications or from within a browser?
C

Reaction score
Hi Cory! Thanks for your reply.

I have investigate furthermore and i don't think it's related to the MBP or the apple TV, or even the router.

Here's why :
- The problem is still here with another MBP connected.
- The problem is still here with the steamlink app when a PC is connected to the TV via the apple TV.
- And last but not least : there is still stuttering when the MPB is directly plugged on the TV with an HMDI cable!

So definitely i believe my LG oled 65C is to blame here, but I can't figure out why and have tried almost everything on it to fix it. It seems the TV can't manage the frequency as soon as there is a computer of any sort in the setup.

I have contacted LG assistance but they don't seem to be very responsive for now.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Yes, it does sound like it may be an issue with the LG, especially since it happens with multiple devices and when connected via HDMI.

Let us now if you get any additional information from LG.

C

Ask a Question