SOLVED Disk Utility Help - Storage

Reaction score
Hi - So, I completely erased all my data to start fresh on my iMac. I was running Big Slur at the time. I ran into some problems and had to delete the volumes in the Disk Utility to start all over. Everything downloaded fine and now Im back to High Sierra. When I went to do a software update, it said there is not enough storage. For some reason, it's only using the Flash Storage SSD (28GB). It's not using the HDD SATA Disk storage (1TB).

ISSUE - I'm not sure how to get the iMac to start using the HDD storage (1TB). Can anyone help? Did I mess up something in the Disk Utility?

(I've added screenshots below for reference)

~~ iMAC INFO ~~
OS = High Sierra
Version = 10.13.6
Processor = 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory = 24 GB RAM

~~ STORAGE INFO - SSD ~~
Apple SSD SM0032L Media
Capacity = 28GB
Available = 13.11 GB
Used = 11.82GB
Type = APFS Volume
Owners = Enabled
Connection = PCI-Express
Device = disk2s1
Partition Map = GUID Partition Map

~~ STORAGE INFO - HDD ~~
Apple HDD ST1000DM003 Media
Capacity = 1 TB
Available = 999.86 GB
Type = SATA Internal Physical Volume
Connection = SATA
Device = disk0

Screenshots -- https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ufm37r0xrfwh6ey/AADvKIuadVT__m7br5I898afa?dl=0

Please let me know if there is anything else you'd like to know. I appreciate the help.

Thank you,
Jack

Reaction score
Hi - So, I completely erased all my data to start fresh on my iMac. I was running Big Slur at the time. I ran into some problems and had to delete the volumes in the Disk Utility to start all over. Everything downloaded fine and now Im back to High Sierra. When I went to do a software update, it said there is not enough storage. For some reason, it's only using the Flash Storage SSD (28GB). It's not using the HDD SATA Disk storage (1TB).

ISSUE - I'm not sure how to get the iMac to start using the HDD storage (1TB). Can anyone help? Did I mess up something in the Disk Utility?

(I've added screenshots below for reference)

~~ iMAC INFO ~~
OS = High Sierra
Version = 10.13.6
Processor = 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory = 24 GB RAM

~~ STORAGE INFO - SSD ~~
Apple SSD SM0032L Media
Capacity = 28GB
Available = 13.11 GB
Used = 11.82GB
Type = APFS Volume
Owners = Enabled
Connection = PCI-Express
Device = disk2s1

~~ STORAGE INFO - HDD ~~
Apple HDD ST1000DM003 Media
Capacity = 1 TB
Available = 999.86 GB
Type = SATA Internal Physical Volume
Connection = SATA
Device = disk0

Screenshots -- https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ufm37r0xrfwh6ey/AADvKIuadVT__m7br5I898afa?dl=0

Please let me know if there is anything else you'd like to know. I appreciate the help.

Thank you,
Jack
It will help if you can provide the Model Identifier for your Mac. Go into  -> About This Mac and click on System Report. The window will default to Hardware Overview. The second line below that heading will be your Model Identifier. It will be the type of Mac plus a number, comma, and another number. In my case it’s Mac13,1.

So, were you trying to install the system software onto Macintosh H? Looks like you formatted it ExFAT. Try formatting it again as HFS+. Depending on your model Mac, you may be able to use APFS, and that is why I wanted to know your Mac’s model identifier.

How were you doing the software update? If you go into Recovery, and if the hard drive is properly formatted, you should be able to select it as the target drive for the system installation.

I’m also wondering why your internal SSD is only 28 gigs. Is that the SSD portion of a fusion drive?

Reaction score
The issue is due to me separately the drives on accident. This is a fusion drive so they had to be re-linked.

For anyone else that ran into this issue, here is some info to help --

Go to the apple menu and select "about this mac" then click on the storage tab. If you see each drive listed there individually then your fusion drive is not set up properly and you will need to start over and link them together before you re-install the OS. A properly setup fusion drive will show as one drive in the storage tab.

To re-link the two drives as a fusion drive you will need to follow the instructions here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207584

Ask a Question