Help With Disk Utility/Desktop/Background

Reaction score
Catalina came out and i use disk utility alot. my computer gets slow all the time i have a slideshow i use and need disk utility, it gets it back to normal. it didnt do this before catalina, but whilw running First Aid it now takes the desktop away like this

Webp.net-compress-image.jpg

can you use terminal to bring the background back while First Aid runs. or would there be any other way to do that

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

If you run Disk Utility - First Aid on the disk you are started up from in Catalina, you cannot do anything else as it states in that screenshot. It is because Catalina has totally changed the way disk formatting/partitioning is implemented. There isn't any way to bypass that as far as I know.

C

Reaction score
could someone explain to me easily what i need to do to accomplish this, and if it will affect restarting the computer daily, anything involved, once i get this done

And, one method that might be the most convenient for most users: Download the Catalina installer app. Create a bootable installer from that on a flash drive. Catalina needs to be on larger than 8GB, and 16GB is a great size for that.
DiskMakerX has a great utility for creating bootable installers.

and if i have 16GB, is it really gonna solve the situation i have with the daily use of the slideshow slowing down my computer

Reaction score
Instructions on how to create a USB installer HERE or HERE. I have used both methods successfully, the method in the first link is probably easier as the second method is done mainly from the terminal. It depends on which you are more comfortable with.
I am not sure what you are trying to achieve with this or how it solves your problem.

Ask a Question