If Disk Utility Can't Repair A Disk?

Reaction score
I have an external SSD like that. In a couple of weeks, I plan on backing it up and reformatting it. Then run disk utility before restoring it.

Reaction score
I have an external SSD like that. In a couple of weeks, I plan on backing it up and reformatting it. Then run disk utility before restoring it.

How will you reformat it?

In my case Disk Utility says it can't erase, repair or partition the disk. Should I take that to mean the disk should be discarded?

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised. Is it an external disk? Have you checked all of its cables and connectors? I lost a Time Machine drive a year ago when I knocked it off my desk. It was physically damaged and I had to toss it.

Reaction score
Yea, I took a closer look and the Firewire port on the disk seemed pretty wobbly, so that could be it.

Reaction score
Many's the time Disk Utility has not even recognised a disk is there, but I have opened it in TechTool, then used the (1) rebuild also the (2) repair partitions options. Always restarted computer then back to Disk Utility, and back to normal. Even when Disk Utility tells me disk is faulty, by an explanation mark. Then followed same steps.

Ask a Question