fsck is fine, but Disk Utility can't format my drive!

Reaction score
Hi everyone ~

I have a almost 2-year-old Mac Pro 17''

The Story: A few days ago I received the grey-folder-blinking-question-mark icon. After exhausting all other remedies, I am now attempting to partition and format my HD in order to re-install OSX.

- Disk Utility returns "B-tree error" if I try to verify or repair the disk. I think this might actually be the whole problem. Solution? :C

- I ran fsck in single user mode, and it told me "Hey, everything looks fine!"

- Disk utility can see the drive, but always returns "Timed out" or "Input/Output" error for partitioning or erasing the drive.

- Twice now, the installer has magically been able to show the drive, but it always finishes a clean install with "Failed due to unknown reason."

- I thought maybe doing a Zero-out erasure would make things better, but 8 hours in the timer changed to say "13 hours left" and I was forced to cancel it. I don't know what this might have done to the drive, or if I should try to zero-out erase it again and just stick through with it?

In a week I will be taking it into a apple store (very far away) in the hopes that they will find something Ive overlooked OR be able to tell me that the HD needs to be replaced for sure.

Any ideas? I'm at the end of my rope!

Ask a Question