Getting a copy of Disk Utility

Reaction score
I recently made the OS upgrade to Catalina, but, I have a problem in terms of reverting a drive back to MacOS Extended from APFS. Is there a download I might get to accomplish that?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I believe there may be workarounds, but I strongly suggest not changing it, as Catalina's security and System rely on APFS.

Is there a particular reason you are wanting to do this?

C

Reaction score
Well, in the process of using the Catalina patcher, I set up drives that are now in APFS, but to reset up Catalina, I need to make a drive that is already in APFS to MacOS Extended. That way I can set up a new drive to accept the patcher and then Catalina.

Reaction score
Should I delete disk utility and install a clean system. I do not remember if disk utility was on the machine straight from the factory?
Or I put it on from my older 27 inch.

Reaction score
Well, in the process of using the Catalina patcher, I set up drives that are now in APFS, but to reset up Catalina, I need to make a drive that is already in APFS to MacOS Extended. That way I can set up a new drive to accept the patcher and then Catalina.
Catalina patcher? Is that the security update? If it’s a third-party utility, I would be careful “patching” any version of macOS not from Apple. APFS was introduced with Mojave, and became the norm with the advent of Catalina. There will be drawbacks from running Catalina or later in HFS+.

Disk Utility is installed with macOS and is placed in the /Applications/Utilities folder. But in order to access the most current version of Disk Utility, I suggest running it from Recovery.

Ask a Question