Mac Mini Late 2014 trying to update the 1TB 5400rpm drive to a 500gb SSD - can't clone drive in disk utility

Reaction score
Mac Mini Late 2014 trying to update the 1TB 5400rpm drive to a 500gb SSD - can't clone drive in disk utility

I watched a few videos on youtube that explained using a USB adapter hooking up the new SSD, using disk utility to confirm the drive is formatted to the same as the main drive I want to clone (my main drive shows as APFS so I formatted the ssd to APFS as well).

The next step was CMD R restart go to Disk Utility to clone the os on the SSD drive from the main drive, my plan at that point was to confirm the SSD would boot the OS and then shut down swap the old 1TB 5400 drive inside for this SSD and enjoy some faster speeds, but my attempts run about an hour and fail saying

APFS inverter failed to invert the volume - Invalid argument
The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStaus error 22).

I tried this 3x and get the same result, I have re-watched the videos on youtube and followed them as described above, but it's not working, I am not sure if it has to do with my drive being APFS vs the video where their drives were extended journal or if it's something Mojave 10.14.6 as they were using earlier OS versions.

Just not exactly sure what I am doing wrong, for the night I am going to step away and hope someone can give me some insight as this is the first time I am attempting something like this.

Bill

Reaction score
I use Super Duper to clone my drives, it works like a charm. There is a free version that will do what you require and a paid version that has a few more capabilities.

Ask a Question