Whats the max RAM memory for my late 2012 Mac Mini?

Reaction score
Hi!

Here's my Mac Mini:

SSD: 500GB
Model Identifier: Macmini6,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: 276.0.0.0.0
SMC Version (system): 2.8f0

Assuming I can find compatible RAM, whats the max RAM this system can handle?

Can it go to 64GB?

More?

Thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

You have a Mac mini Server (Late 2012). It uses 204-pin PC3-12800 (1600 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM, and has two slots. You have two 8 GB sticks installed. Unfortunately, the 16 GB you have currently is the maximum that it can support.

-What version of O X/macOS?
-Is there a specific need for more RAM?

C

Reaction score
Hello,

You have a Mac mini Server (Late 2012). It uses 204-pin PC3-12800 (1600 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM, and has two slots. You have two 8 GB sticks installed. Unfortunately, the 16 GB you have currently is the maximum that it can support.

-What version of O X/macOS?
-Is there a specific need for more RAM?

C

Mojave 10.14.4

The system is just getting easily bogged down.

I typically have 15-20 tabs of FireFox (56.0.2 64-bit) open and after awhile, it just gets s-l-o-w.

I like this verion of FF because of the beloved extension Tab Mix Plus. It is a godsend but it will
not work on FF Quantum and above.

Also Roomy Bookmarks Toolbar and Clipple are two more that I depend on that will not work
in the latest version of FF (66?).

At times I will also run --at the same time as running FF-- MS Remote Desktop & Excel and/or Word.

I've got two memory utilities always running: "Memory Clean 3" and "Memory Cleaner" & I'm having
to choose the "Extreme Clean" option of "Memory Clean 3" and/or the "Optimize Memory" option
of "Memory Cleaner" more and more frequently as I use the system until I get to the point where
I just reboot.

So short of getting the new Mac Mini, I was hoping to push the RAM to its max and see if that helps.
Its a cheaper option than getting a new one.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

There really isn't anything you can do to speed up your current Mac mini. You could replaced the HDD with an SSD, but it's not a super simple procedure. How much free space is left on the drive?

C

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

There really isn't anything you can do to speed up your current Mac mini. You could replaced the HDD with an SSD, but it's not a super simple procedure. How much free space is left on the drive?

C

Already has a 500GB SSD.

About 132GB free.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK

The only other thing would be to disable any real-time antivirus apps, try pausing any cloud-based syncing, review/update the Firefox Add-ons and possibly try disabling a few to see if it speeds up. Also, make sure you are clearing your Firefox cache. Any 32-bit apps/extensions could definitely slow down the system, as Mojave is quite finicky when it comes to non 64-bit software.

C

Reaction score
Ok, thanks, I'll give those suggestions a go.

Whats faster: Mac Mini or a "real" Mac desktop?

Thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Normally, Mac Pros are the fastest, followed by iMacs. The new Mac mini is very fast. MacBook Pros are faster than MacBooks, which are faster than MacBook Airs.

C

Ask a Question