Connecting 2 High Res Monitors to Mac Mini (late 2012)

Discussion in 'Hardware and Peripherals' started by persephone, Jun 27, 2015.

1. persephone

persephone New Member

Hi, I have a mac mini (specs: 2.6 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 16GB Memory,Intel Graphics 4000). It is the late 2012 model, which only has one Thunderbolt port, in addition to aHDMI port, and USB3.0 ports (4). I am on OS Mavericks 10.9.5.

I now want to run two monitors, and have acquired the following monitors:
    AOC Q2770Pqu - Resolution 2560 x 1440 - this monitor I intend to use for displaying Maya's Editors or Photoshop Palettes.
    Eizo ColorEdge CX271 - Resolution 2560 x 1440 - this monitor, being top of the range, I intend to use as my main viewport monitor.

My question is how do I get both monitors to run at their maximum resolution?

persephone, Jun 27, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. persephone

Cory Cooper Moderator

Hello and welcome.

I don't think you can run both monitors at their maximum resolution with that particular model Mac mini due to its HDMI limitation. It has support for the following:

Thunderbolt port: up to 2560 x 1600
    HDMI port: up to 1920 x 1200

I would connect the Eizo to the Thunderbolt (Mini DisplayPort) port and the AOC to the HDMI port.

If your Mac mini had two Thunderbolt ports like the latest model, it would run both at maximum resolution.

C

Cory Cooper, Jun 27, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. persephone

persephone New Member

Thanks Cory. I was looking for confirmation from another source that this was the case as my research indicated this to be the case. Where I am getting perplexed by it all, is that someone else flagged up using a Mini Displayport to DVI Dual-Link - Active Converter - USB Powered and provided the link to StarTech.com with the following information on this Convertor:

The Mini DisplayPort adapter offers an active conversion, which is powered by a single USB port and is able to handle full dual-link resolutions (up to 2560x1600). Use it to mirror your display to another monitor, or extend your desktop to increase your workspace.

O.K. say my next question is: when it says you can mirror your display to another monitor, does this then mean that this particular connection type would enable both monitors to get up to 2560 x 1600?

persephone, Jun 28, 2015
  4. persephone

Cory Cooper Moderator

I am not familiar with that equipment.

As far as mirroring, that simply means seeing the same thing on both displays. I cannot confirm what resolution it would work at.

Sorry,

C

Cory Cooper, Jun 29, 2015
  5. persephone

persephone New Member

Hi Cory thanks for feedback. On doing some more reading I clarified the difference between such states as mirroring and spanning, which was a good start after I realised that mirroring was not what I wanted, for exactly the reason you outlined in your latest posting to me. I then read my mavericks OS manual and went into System Preferences > Mission Control > and unselected the 'Displays have separate Spaces' checkbox. So I now have each monitor's workspace working independently from the other. From what I can gather, and as you originally stated, the mac mini I have, irrespective of how I connect up the second monitor will only allow one monitor via the mini-displayport to run at 2560 x 1440, and so I bow to the inevitable. I appreciate you responding so quickly, have a great week. Regards Persephone

persephone, Jun 30, 2015
  6. persephone

Cory Cooper Moderator

You're very welcome...that's why we're here.

Be well,

C

Cory Cooper, Jun 30, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question