Connecting 2 High Res Monitors to Mac Mini (late 2012)

Reaction score
Hi, I have a mac mini (specs: 2.6 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 16GB Memory,Intel Graphics 4000). It is the late 2012 model, which only has one Thunderbolt port, in addition to aHDMI port, and USB3.0 ports (4). I am on OS Mavericks 10.9.5.

I now want to run two monitors, and have acquired the following monitors:
AOC Q2770Pqu - Resolution 2560 x 1440 - this monitor I intend to use for displaying Maya's Editors or Photoshop Palettes.
Eizo ColorEdge CX271 - Resolution 2560 x 1440 - this monitor, being top of the range, I intend to use as my main viewport monitor.

My question is how do I get both monitors to run at their maximum resolution?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I don't think you can run both monitors at their maximum resolution with that particular model Mac mini due to its HDMI limitation. It has support for the following:

Thunderbolt port: up to 2560 x 1600
HDMI port: up to 1920 x 1200

I would connect the Eizo to the Thunderbolt (Mini DisplayPort) port and the AOC to the HDMI port.

If your Mac mini had two Thunderbolt ports like the latest model, it would run both at maximum resolution.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I don't think you can run both monitors at their maximum resolution with that particular model Mac mini due to its HDMI limitation. It has support for the following:

I would connect the Eizo to the Thunderbolt (Mini DisplayPort) port and the AOC to the HDMI port.

If your Mac mini had two Thunderbolt ports like the latest model, it would run both at maximum resolution.

C
Thanks Cory. I was looking for confirmation from another source that this was the case as my research indicated this to be the case. Where I am getting perplexed by it all, is that someone else flagged up using a Mini Displayport to DVI Dual-Link - Active Converter - USB Powered and provided the link to StarTech.com with the following information on this Convertor:

The Mini DisplayPort adapter offers an active conversion, which is powered by a single USB port and is able to handle full dual-link resolutions (up to 2560x1600). Use it to mirror your display to another monitor, or extend your desktop to increase your workspace.

O.K. say my next question is: when it says you can mirror your display to another monitor, does this then mean that this particular connection type would enable both monitors to get up to 2560 x 1600?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I am not familiar with that equipment.

As far as mirroring, that simply means seeing the same thing on both displays. I cannot confirm what resolution it would work at.

Sorry,

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory thanks for feedback. On doing some more reading I clarified the difference between such states as mirroring and spanning, which was a good start after I realised that mirroring was not what I wanted, for exactly the reason you outlined in your latest posting to me. I then read my mavericks OS manual and went into System Preferences > Mission Control > and unselected the 'Displays have separate Spaces' checkbox. So I now have each monitor's workspace working independently from the other. From what I can gather, and as you originally stated, the mac mini I have, irrespective of how I connect up the second monitor will only allow one monitor via the mini-displayport to run at 2560 x 1440, and so I bow to the inevitable. I appreciate you responding so quickly, have a great week. Regards Persephone

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

C
Hi! Apple specs state you can run two monitors at 2560x1600 on the late 2012 Mac mini 2.5. It only has one Thinderbolt

Reaction score
There is a **lot** of mis-information on all of these threads, compounded by a general misunderstanding of what 'Thunderbolt 2' is (which probably stems from the fact that it looks just like a Mini Displayport).

Thunderbolt 2 is the fastest port on the back of the 2012 macMini, and should not be viewed as just some place to bung a monitor and be done with it. It's a 20GB/Second high-speed data connection, capable of connection to a myriad of devices (including a single display).

If you want to take full advantage of Apple's advised maximum graphics capability of two QHD displays, you need to plug a multiplex device into that Thunderbolt 2 socket.** This will use the 20GB/second data transfer and share that between a whole host of other possible ports and uses, from gigabit ethernet to 4K HDMI to additional Thunderbolt ports to extra USB 3.0 and more. To this end, you should think of the Thunderbolt's connectivity potential in the same way that you might a USB socket, with a USB hub plugged in.

One such device that's available relatively cheaply second hand, and is in relatively plentiful supply in places is the Belkin Thunderbolt 2 Expressdock.

This goes into the single port on the back of the macMini, and provides connectivity for up to eight devices from the single connection on the back of the computer.

Their specs say:

- Connect 8 separate devices through a single Thunderbolt cable
- 4x faster than USB 3.0
- 25x faster than FireWire 800
- Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 technology-ready
- Supports dual displays and 4K cinema resolution
- Connect up to 8 devices directly to the dock, and daisy
chain up to 4 additional Thunderbolt devices (5 total)
- Mac and PC compatible Brushed aluminum finish Includes 1M Thunderbolt cable

It's compatible with:

- iMac
- Mac Pro
- Mac mini
- MacBook Air
- MacBook Pro
- MacBook Pro with Retina Display
- PC Laptops/Ultrabooks with Thunderbolt/Thunderbolt 2 port

Most of the cheap Displayport 'splitter' type devices (including the one linked in another answer) don't work properly on macOS and will only duplicate rather than extend the displays.

Ask a Question