SOLVED I can't upgrade my macOS. PLEASE help me!

Reaction score
My macbook is running OS X 10.9.5, and I can't install macOS 10.14.5 Please help me!
What model MacBook is it? The easiest way to find out is to go to  ->About This Mac. From the new window, click on System Report

Look for model identifier. It will provide the exact model of your Mac.

Reaction score
MacBook5,2
Okay, you have the mid 2009 13-inch MacBook. It came with OS X 10.5.7 Leopard, and the maximum version for it is OS X 10.11.6, El Capitan. I don’t know if there are workarounds to force Mojave on it, but that’s a big leap. Sorry.

The safest way to test it is to find someone with an external Mojave system drive and try booting from it.

Reaction score
Okay, you have the mid 2009 13-inch MacBook. It came with OS X 10.5.7 Leopard, and the maximum version for it is OS X 10.11.6, El Capitan. I don’t know if there are workarounds to force Mojave on it, but that’s a big leap. Sorry.

The safest way to test it is to find someone with an external Mojave system drive and try booting from it.
Ok, but how can i update it to OS X El capitan?

Reaction score
here is the wikipedia entry, and at the bottom of the page are the download links. (Apple no longer support el capitan)

best to download all the links and then go though the upgrades or safer to make a USB Boot Stick with El Capitan on it.

regards, Sandy

Reaction score
Ok, but how can i update it to OS X El capitan?
This is the Apple Support page for obtaining older Mac system installers:

You will find detailed information and steps. It covers Mac OS X and macOS versions from Yosemite to Monterey.

Reaction score
I downloaded and installed it. But when I tried to install it on my MacBook, it always says that the instalation could not be finished, and then, I can try again, but the same thing is showed.

Reaction score
here is the wikipedia entry, and at the bottom of the page are the download links. (Apple no longer support el capitan)

best to download all the links and then go though the upgrades or safer to make a USB Boot Stick with El Capitan on it.

regards, Sandy
I want to try to boot from stick, but how can I do it after I get that error message? I can only access Disk Utility, Password Reset and Terminal

Reaction score
I downloaded and installed it. But when I tried to install it on my MacBook, it always says that the instalation could not be finished, and then, I can try again, but the same thing is showed.
A few possibilities, maybe you don’t have enough free space on your drive. Try resetting the SMC. If I remember correctly, for that model, you will need to shut down, disconnect from the charger, remove the battery, and then press the power button for about 10 seconds. Reinstall the battery and reconnect to the charger and reboot.

Do you still have the downloaded installer file? If it seems like you have enough free disk space, try restarting in Safe Mode (restart and immediately hold down the Shift key). Launch the installer and try again. Good luck.

Reaction score
A few possibilities, maybe you don’t have enough free space on your drive. Try resetting the SMC. If I remember correctly, for that model, you will need to shut down, disconnect from the charger, remove the battery, and then press the power button for about 10 seconds. Reinstall the battery and reconnect to the charger and reboot.

Do you still have the downloaded installer file? If it seems like you have enough free disk space, try restarting in Safe Mode (restart and immediately hold down the Shift key). Launch the installer and try again. Good luck.
1. I don't have the battery on my mac, it works ONLY whit the charger connected.

2. On the journal says that there is enough free space on the mac

3. I don't think the installer is still there...

4. Can you help me to install it from a USB Drive?

Reaction score
1. I don't have the battery on my mac, it works ONLY whit the charger connected.

2. On the journal says that there is enough free space on the mac

3. I don't think the installer is still there...

4. Can you help me to install it from a USB Drive?
nevermind.. it worked

Ask a Question