SOLVED Help! New Macbook

Reaction score
My husband is in early stages of Alzheimer's and just bought a Macbook and was trying to set it up but got himself locked out, can't get past the initial sign in screen. He forgets things most immediately sometimes so has no idea what he did. He has tried all of his email addresses, 3, and different passwords but is now locked out. Have tried the password reset from IPhone but not getting anywhere as we never get the change password prompt. Is there a way to do a reset so he can start over? I don't use Apple products so am totally out of my element.

Reaction score
Hi,

So sorry to hear this has happened, I hate passwords and am continually forgetting them.
Possibly the easiest and safest thing to do would be to book a genius bar appointment at you local Apple store, explain what has happened and I am sure they will be able to help you.

But as a footnote if as you say he can not get past the sign in screen and your happy to delve into things then you could possibly try this, but personally I would go the genius bar route.

1. Turn off your computer and hold the power button + Command R. Wait for the loading bar to appear on the screen while your Mac boots to Recovery.
  2. Next, choose Disk Utility > Continue > Utilities Terminal.
  3. Type “resetpassword” (in one word) and click Return.
  4. Go to the main hard drive and choose your user account.
  5. Lastly, change Mac password, create a hint to easily recollect it in future, and click save. You should now be able to use this new password after a restart.

Reaction score
Hi,

So sorry to hear this has happened, I hate passwords and am continually forgetting them.
Possibly the easiest and safest thing to do would be to book a genius bar appointment at you local Apple store, explain what has happened and I am sure they will be able to help you.

But as a footnote if as you say he can not get past the sign in screen and your happy to delve into things then you could possibly try this, but personally I would go the genius bar route.

1. Turn off your computer and hold the power button + Command R. Wait for the loading bar to appear on the screen while your Mac boots to Recovery.
  2. Next, choose Disk Utility > Continue > Utilities Terminal.
  3. Type “resetpassword” (in one word) and click Return.
  4. Go to the main hard drive and choose your user account.
  5. Lastly, change Mac password, create a hint to easily recollect it in future, and click save. You should now be able to use this new password after a restart.
Thank you for your reply. We are going to go the route of the genius bar as you suggest. With his cognitive issues it is difficult for me to manuever and perhaps someone more expert will be able to assist better that I. Thank you again for responding, I appreciate your input.

Ask a Question