Headphone buzz

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2018 Mac Mini and have used cheaper headphones with it with no problems. I have just bought a high end pair of Beyer Dynamics and they work fine in my DAP but have a buzz in the Mini. When I hold my hand on the Mini the buzz goes away.

This is a Ground Loop from my research. I am going to try a Ground Loop Isolator that plugs in to the headphone jack then the Beyers in to that. Any other suggestions if that doesn't work?? Can I earth the figure 8 power connector in some way?

Cheers

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Yes, that sounds like a ground loop.

-Which model are the Beyer Dynamics, and what type of connection are they using - standard 1/4" phone or 1/8" mini phone?
-What ground loop isolator are you looking at?

You can try to disconnect all external devices/peripherals from the mini, and make sure all power cords are in the same outlet/power strip.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Cory,

Beyers are DT 1770 with gold plated 1/8" in to Mini and 1/4" adaptor if I need it for proper amp.

productlarge_15484_1.jpg

All power cords are from the same outlet. No peripherals except monitor. Keyboard and trackpad are bluetooth. Figure 8 power connector in to Mini so no earth.

In fact writing that made me try plugging in the keyboard to usb on the Mini to charge it. That stops the buzz too if I'm touching the keyboard. It seems weird as I'm sitting on the same seat as the Mini so if it can earth through me to the seat why not straight to the seat from the Mini. At least it is easier than keeping my leg touching the Mini. It does take away from the benefit of bluetooth wireless keyboard though.

Cheers

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

-You could try moving the mini to another room and using another outlet. Maybe the ground on the current outlet is causing the issue?
-Are the power cords plugged into a power strip, or directly to the outlet?

C

Reaction score
I finally got the ground earth isolator and it works. There is a very tiny far away noise if you listen carefully with no sound but otherwise, solved.

Thanks

Ask a Question