Headphone Port Doesn't Work After Sierra Upgrade

Reaction score
I upgraded my Yosemite to Sierra so I could run the new Logic Pro X, which I purchased and installed after the upgrade. I now have no sound out of my headphone port. HDMI works fine. Most of the fixes I read state that I need to select internal speaker, then reselect headphone port, however I have no internal speaker option.

This happened when I upped from El Capitan to Yosemite, but I had the internal speaker option then. Now it's not on the menu. Dead in the water until I can figure this out, can't run sound to my monitors otherwise.

Mac OS Sierra 10.12.3 (16D32)
Mac Mini (mid 2010)
2.4GHz intel core 2 duo
8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Is there no sound at all - including iTunes, YouTube, system alert sounds, etc.?

C

Reaction score
No YouTube, Spotify, etc. Can't say about every system alert/sound but so far none are audible.

Reaction score
It was about 18 mos ago when I upgraded to Yosemite...same issue. I was able to click on internal speaker, then change back and it worked. I/S is not on the menu this time however. Also, I have a Saffire USB I/O connected as well as an HDMI cable, so not sure if that caused any issues when the system initialized the first time.

If what you were getting at was perhaps browser based, I tried it in Chrome, Safari and Firefox. Spotify standalone app as well. I opened a project in garageband and got nothing either though I'm not sure that's set up correctly since I've installed Logic Pro X. Hope this is better info.

Also thank you for the welcome.

Reaction score
I am using OS 10.12.3 on both of my Macs, and I do see the Internal Speaker on my Sound Preference Pane (these are on my mid 2013 13" MacBook Air):

Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 8.54.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 8.54.49 PM.png

Not sure why you don't see that option.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 8.54.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 8.54.28 PM.png
    64.4 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
Reaction score
If you headphones are plugged in the internal speaker option does not show, unplug the headphones and it will appear.

Reaction score
That was it. Had this in a rack all wired up and didn't realize I needed to unplug it. Once I did the internal speaker initialized and so did the headphone port. Not sure why you have to unplug it first but I'll take it. Thanks everyone. Big help.

Reaction score
Problem is back but worse. No matter how many times I unplug the cable and select internal speaker, it doesn't initialize. Further, when I turn my video monitor off and back on, sound plays through the headphone port for a few seconds when the monitor comes back on. I can reproduce this every time and consistently. Any ideas?

Ask a Question