Bluetooth headphones and internal mic?

Reaction score
I think this is an OS issue.

When I plug in my bluetooth headphones (which include an external mic on the headphones) the option to use my internal mic disappears. Why??
There are several "solutions" to this problem posted, but none of them actually work.

I WANT to have the option of using my internal mic on my laptop instead of the mic on my headset. This is DUMB.

OS 10.12

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

Because there is a mic, it disables the internal mic. If you use Bluetooth headphones without a built-in mic, the internal mic will work.

I don't know of any way around it unfortunately.

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Wait...

You said plugin your Bluetooth headphones - did you mean connect? If you are plugging in headphones with a built-in mic, it has a different connector than standard headphones, and the audio jack on a Mac is a dual function combo audio jack that supports audio out/in plus mic in.

C

Reaction score
Sorry, it is a bluetooth headset, but I've plugged it in. I am NOT using bluetooth for it. SURELY I get to select which mic I want to use. If I plug that headset in, I can ONLY use the mic on the headset. It works. But I am not given the option of selecting microphones, The only one available in sound prefs is the "external" mic, which is the one on the headset. If I unplug the headset, "internal mic" appears as the only choice in sound prefs, and the "external mic" option disappears.

I want to use this headset, but with the internal mic. The way it is, I am forced to use the mic on the headset if the headset is plugged in.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the additional information.

Unfortunately, when you plug in headphones w/mic, it has a connector similar to the one on the left:

1397508256022.TRRS2.png

When that is connected, it disconnects the internal speakers and microphone. There isn't any way to use the internal mic with that headset.

The only way to use the internal mic, is to use a different pair of headphones that don't have a mic built-in, as they will have a connector like the middle one in the photo above. The one on the right is a mono connector.

I do believe that headphones with built-in mic that have a USB connection do not disable the internal mic. It is just a limitation when using the combo audio jack on the Mac.

C

Ask a Question