Stream to bluetooth speakers while on the phone

jvf

Reaction score
Hello,

I’ve searched the web for several days concerning making/receiving calls while music streaming to Bluetooth but no one seems to have addressed what I want to do. I don’t want to press play and hear music in my ear while talking or on hold or any of these iterations. I want to be streaming to my speakers and make/receive calls using the iPhone speaker/mic without the music stopping. I can’t possibly be the only person that would like to do this-or maybe I am. My first two speaker purchases must have had internal mics so when a call would come in the speaker would hijack the call. Very annoying. The iPhone would offer a choice of itself of Bluetooth but this was erratic. Sometimes it wouldn’t work and other times it would work and I’d hear the caller in the iPhone but the iPhone would have muted itself so the caller wouldn’t hear me. Horrible. I finally found a really nice Bluetooth speaker without a mic. Some reviewers liked the sound but complained that the mic had been removed from this newer model so it couldn’t be used as a speaker phone. I viewed the elimination of this annoying “feature” as a huge plus. It’s the new JBL Flip 5. Expensive, but sounds great with good bass and worth every penny. BUT, like the others, the music stops when making/receiving calls. I can hear the dialing tones in the speaker when calling out and it doesn’t mess with the calls but, like the other two, stops playing music.

So, it’s a function of the phone itself. Usually I’m on wifi calling. I have LTE voice and data enabled but if I turn off wifi the results are the same. Can this be overcome? How can I listen to the speakers while on the phone? I have an SE with 10.2.1 It works fine and does everything I need so I have no intention of upgrading unless a newer iOS version eliminates this restriction. I was going to get the new SE until I learned that it isn’t an SE at all. It’s an iPhone 8 sized monster. I was very disappointed.

Thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I don't think it is possible to stream music via Bluetooth when there is an active call on an iPhone. When streaming music to a Bluetooth speaker, when a call comes in, it pauses the music. Even when using Bluetooth headphones, music will pause when a call comes in. Same with CarPlay in my vehicle. It is the design and nature of the audio routing in the iPhone.

If I hear of any solution, I will let you know.

C

jvf

Reaction score
Hi Cory,
Thanks for responding. After going through all this I thought as much. Sure seems like it could be fixed in software if they were so inclined.

jvf

Ask a Question