Bad Streaming With Apple TV4

Reaction score
I've upgraded from Apple TV3 to 4. There's no changes with my set up, same modem, router, computer, etc. According to my Apple TV4 settings I'm getting 4 out of 5 bars in single strength, same as before.

However streaming on Apple TV4 has thus far been horrible in all apps that stream video. The video keeps starting and stopping, constantly buffering, the video quality is pixelated. Some apps won't stream at all. Basically unwatchable.

I've tried typical solutions like unplugging the modem and router, restarting Apple TV etc. That's not fixing the issue.

Are there any settings to improve streaming? Other than reduce video resolution. Why the problems with the 4th generation when I hardly had streaming issues with the 3rd generation Apple TV? Do I need a new router?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Which version of AppleTV 4 - 4th Generation or 4K?
-Which version of tvOS - 11.2.1?
-If Apple TV 4K, is your TV 4K?
-What type of content are you streaming?
-From your post, I assume you are connected via Wi-Fi?

The higher quality the video stream, the more bandwidth and signal strength you need. If you only have four of five bars, can you move the Apple TV closer to the router, or position it so it doesn't have anything between it and the router possibly blocking the signal?

C

Reaction score
(1) Apple TV 4- 4th Generation (Not 4K)
(2) tvOS - 11.2.1
(3) NA
(4) iTunes video from TV and Movies App's, Movies Anywhere App. Live NHL games from NHL App. Video's from YouTube App.
(5) I'm connected to WiFi.

When I say I have four out of five "bars" I mean in the Apple TV settings it shows 4 out of 5 dots lit up as streaming strength. Nothing has changed as far as hardware or software or location other than replacing my Apple TV 3rd generation with 4th generation.

Unfortunately the modem and router are on the opposite side of the house, (though I never had a signal problem before) so testing by making a direct connection with an ethernet cable would be very difficult without having my ISP come in and run a new line.

Thanks for your response.

Reaction score
Don't mean to pump this but have more information that could be helpful. I have a second older Mac in the same room as the Apple TV hooked up to my WiFi. I have no internet or connection issues with the Mac. Video streams work just fine on the computer.

Also I've tried different things on Apple TV4 and discovered nothing really works. I tried streaming a downloaded video from iTunes on my Mac to the Apple TV and have the same streaming issues. Buffering issues, poor quality image, or it won't play at all. There's problems loading photos and music too. I occasionally get network not found or network cut off dialog boxes.

What I do know:
(1) WiFi works perfectly with my older Mac. Streaming internet videos, music, etc.
(2) WiFi connected to my Apple TV4 has a strong signal, but streaming is extremely poor or won't stream at all. Loading video, music, photos locally from my Mac is weak or won't load either.

Reaction score
Have you tried Roku? We like having both a Roku box and AppleTV, so if one box is screwing up we can test it against the other box. You've done essentially the same thing by testing one AppleTV box against another, which is good evidence the problem is with the new AppleTV.

Can you return it and try another? Or maybe try Roku?

Ask a Question