[Automator] Google Drive Stream broke my Automator Script :(

Discussion in 'Automator' started by Erik Peterson, May 11, 2018.

1. Erik Peterson

Erik Peterson New Member

I have had an automation action setup for a while now that watches a folder on Google Drive (synced to my HD) and when it sees a new folder created within the watched folder the action copies a whole folder structure & files into that new folder and then renames the folder. This was working great for until Google discontinued the old google drive drive syncing in favor of Google Drive Stream.

I think my action stopped working because Google Drive Stream acts like a networked drive. There is an option that allows a user to keep a copy of selected folder locally stored on an HD so I applied that on the folders needed for my action, but that didn't seem to solve the issue.

I get the following error when I try to run the action "The action “Copy Finder Items” encountered an error: “*** -[NSFileManager createDirectoryAtURL:withIntermediateDirectories:attributes:error:]: URL is nil”"

Any thoughts on how I can solve this error? I have no clue what it means

Check the attached screenshot to see my current action.

Attached Files:

Erik Peterson, May 11, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. Erik Peterson

Cory Cooper Moderator

Hello and welcome.

You are correct, the new Google Drive File Stream acts more like a network/cloud drive, and all documents are located in the Google Drive cloud, instead of as a local copy like in the Google Drive app previously. You can make them available for offline use, by right-clicking/Control-clicking on the file in Google Drive File Stream, and selecting Google Drive File Stream > Available offline from the pop-up. The status icon will then change from a blue outlined cloud to a green circle with a white checkmark in it.

As for the Automator action, I don't have much experience with it or AppleScript, so I can't help much there. Maybe by making the file available offline, you can slightly modify the action and the issue will resolve.

Let us know how it goes,

C

Cory Cooper, May 15, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. Erik Peterson

Erik Peterson New Member

Thanks Cory, As I mentioned in my post, I did make the files available offline but it did not resolve the issue. If anyone else has other thoughts I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

Erik Peterson, May 16, 2018
  4. Erik Peterson

Cory Cooper Moderator

No worries. Oops, I see that you mentioned that now. Guess I read and replied too quickly.

Maybe someone else will chime in. You could always ask over at MacScripter to see if anyone there may have a suggestion/solution.

C

Cory Cooper, May 16, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question