Getting new HDD

Reaction score
Hi,

Recently my Macbook (from early 2009), started having a startup problem. When I ran in verbose mode/hardware test it gave me a disk0s2: I/O error.

I looked it up and found it was something with my HDD and reached the conclusion that I needed a new one. My "problem" is that all the HDD's I've been able to find in shops where I live are 1 amp +5 V and the one that I had is 0.6 amp +5 V.

If I was to get a 1 amp HDD would it function properly in my machine?

I'd also like to know if there is any way I can recover the information on my old HDD?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Basically, any 2.5" SATA HD will work in your MacBook. The amp rating is the maximum it will draw at startup.

Does the old HD mount? If it is indeed failing, depending on the severity, it may not be possible to recover any data.

C

Reaction score
Ok, thanks very much. You've been very helpful.

As for my HDD mounting, it's hit or miss (haven't tried connecting it as a slave into any other computer, which is my next step). It definitely doesn't boot OS X from it, however, when I've booted from my OS X disc it sometimes finds the HDD when it asks me where is it that I want to install the software. Then when I choose the drive it doesn't even allow me the option of wiping it and re-installing.

Ask a Question