Getting my 2001 G-4 working

Reaction score
I bought my G-4 in 2001. It ran good until recently,when I got two error messages. One was a broken folder,which I was able to fix temperally and the other is the present question mark which I haven't been able to fix. Here's what I need to know; how do I fix it and also how do I get rid of as much old softwear and other items that are slowling the computer down. I wanted to trash the os 9 and the os x that came with the computer.Is there other stuff I can also delete? I got my internet service turned on and I haven't hooked it up since I can't get my computer to even accept cds. Any info. I can get will be of great help to me.
My eyes are going crazy just reading all the books I've been reading in hopes of fixing my computer.
I plan on getting a new operating system so that I can run the following;final,cut, the suite of photoshop,flash and etc. In addition what can I add to my computer to give it more memory and speed?
In advance thanx for any info. you all can give me.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :confused:

Reaction score
It sounds to me like you have a corrupted System folder or Bad Hard Drive.

Try booting from your OS X cd by holding down the "C" key after you here the startup chime.

Then go to utilities and open "Disk Utility" then click on the HD on the left side of DU window and choose "First Aid" then "Verify Disk" If your disk gives you errors then try repair them. Although it does not sound like a Permission issue you might as well repair permissions while there.

If you do not see a HD at all then most likely your HD went bad.

If DU can not repair your HD then you may need to use a 3rd party software or just reformat your HD by erasing it.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
After reading your original post and feeling overwhelmed by your description of your issue/s I feel darock's advice to be the best at this stage.

Then it will be a case of identifying the next most urgent issue and moving upwards from there.

You need to also make a back-up of all your important files and prepare for either a replacement HD or a fresh install of the OS. It is important that you have the original Software & Install Disc/s that came with your G4 OR, if not, you'll need to buy the Retail Version of the Software & Install Disc/s.

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you for the info. I finally got the **** working temporarly so tonite I'm gona go at it again before i hook up the internet.
As you so aware just reading all the info. and then tryna figure out what to do is overwhelming. Your assistance is appreciated.
I have another question,since I'm on SSI my funds are bare. What can you tell me about sites where you can pick up softwear. One I have just learned about is called XTorrent I believe. Whats the best way of working my way around sites like this and where would I go to find others?
I also ready that the newer operating systems can be a problem installing to the G-4 OSx 9.2.1 Well I don't want to over whelm you with much more so thanks in advance for your assistance.

Ask a Question