Getting Files from Beige G3

Reaction score
I finally upgraded from my old beige g3 tower to a g5 tower a few months back. I'm now going to get rid of the g3, but I want the files from the hard drive first.

The g3 has an ultra-wide scsi bus, so I can't use the hard drive - even if I was savvy enough to do that. The CD drive on the g3 is dead, so I can't burn a disk. I feel like I should be able to use file sharing and just hook the computers together with an ethernet cable and access the g3's drive, but I can't get it to work. I'm not terribly comfortable playing around with the settings on the g5's system preferences for networking and file sharing, etc. anyway, but what I tried didn't work, and hopefully I have it back like it was.

Should this work - if so, what settings do I need to change on each computer to make it work?

Hopefully I've posted this in the correct forum, it could be in a few places I guess. Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

Michael

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

I'll have to see if I can get you a couple of screen grabs of the settings to change...I haven't got any older Macs running at home at the minute.

You should be able to just set up "Sharing" on the Beige G3 then access the drive from your new Mac. The network settings will also need to be altered... I'll try and get some screen grabs tomorrow.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks, Ric. I'm a *little* more comfortable with altering settings on the G3 (os 9.x). There are just way to many settings and preferences to be set for networking and file sharing on OSX, which I've not had to deal with before, and am not comfortable tweaking. I appreciate the assistance.

Michael

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

no problem...

Some screen grabs on the way tonight.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question