Flash issue in Safari 6.0.4

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
My normal account, which is the administrator account

It isn't good security to be running your normal everyday account as an admin. I strongly advise you launch System Preferences & in Users, you promote the new user account you have only just created, to Admin then log out of your normal account. You might need to click the padlock if it's locked & enter your username/password.

Next, log into the second account and launch System Preferences and click the lock & enter your User Name & P/W, then select your normal account in the left column & set it to Standard type.

Then log out of the new Admin and back into your normal account, which is now a Standard account.

This is best practice for securing your Mac.

Reaction score
I'll have to try and see if I can stand not using the administrator account. That may take a while.

It isn't good security to be running your normal everyday account as an admin. I strongly advise you launch System Preferences & in Users, you promote the new user account you have only just created, to Admin then log out of your normal account. You might need to click the padlock if it's locked & enter your username/password.

Next, log into the second account and launch System Preferences and click the lock & enter your User Name & P/W, then select your normal account in the left column & set it to Standard type.

Then log out of the new Admin and back into your normal account, which is now a Standard account.

This is best practice for securing your Mac.

Reaction score
Hi,

Can you just try this and post back, if no difference then just reverse the process.

1. Open Finder and find Safari in the Applications folder.
2. CTRL-click (right click) on Safari.app and choose 'Get Info'.
3. In the General section check the box next to 'Open in 32-bit mode'

Reaction score
Switching to 32 bit mode did not help. It made the browser considerably slower.

Hi,

Can you just try this and post back, if no difference then just reverse the process.

1. Open Finder and find Safari in the Applications folder.
2. CTRL-click (right click) on Safari.app and choose 'Get Info'.
3. In the General section check the box next to 'Open in 32-bit mode'

Reaction score
Hi leChuck,

Please be bear with me one more time, I know you deleted the com.apple.safari plist once before but go back to the library and see if you have the following

1) com.apple.Safari.LSSharedFileList.plist
2) com.apple.Safari.RSS.plist and folder in ~/Library/Preferences/Macromedia
If so delete them.

3) Now open Safari > preferences, Security tab, "show cookies" button and type youtube into the search, select all that pop up and removed them.

4) Reboot and open Safari what is the result?

Reaction score
I have deleted com.apple.Safari.LSSharedFileList.plist and com.apple.Safari.RSS.plist.

About the Macromedia folder, what do you want me to delete? The Macromedia folder itself?

Cookies are accessible under the Privacy tab. I have deleted all youtube cookies.

Hi leChuck,

Please be bear with me one more time, I know you deleted the com.apple.safari plist once before but go back to the library and see if you have the following

1) com.apple.Safari.LSSharedFileList.plist
2) com.apple.Safari.RSS.plist and folder in ~/Library/Preferences/Macromedia
If so delete them.

3) Now open Safari > preferences, Security tab, "show cookies" button and type youtube into the search, select all that pop up and removed them.

4) Reboot and open Safari what is the result?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
There is a folder inside called "Flash Player" that's the one to trash.

About the Macromedia folder, what do you want me to delete? The Macromedia folder itself?

Okay, LeChuck, can you please try this?

1. Using the Flash Uninstaller, uninstall Flash.
2. Go to MacintoshHD ~> Library and make sure there are no Flash plugins found in the Internet Plugins Folder.​

If you find any Flash plugins, please tell me before you continue with the next step.

3. Next, quit Safari & launch Firefox. Go to the Adobe Flash website and download and install the latest version of Flash for your system.
4. Quit Firefox if it's running and launch Safari and test whether the problem persists.​

Reaction score
There were no Flash plug-ins in the Internet Plug-Ins folder after I uninstalled Flash. After downloading and installing Flash through Firefox, the problem persists.

I can give you another example of an embedded video that works in Firefox, but not in Safari. It's on this page, right at the top under "New G6 and GF6 tests…":
http://www.43rumors.com/

Reaction score
Hi,

Here is the embedded code for the links you gave and in the same order, personally I see nothing unusual but am no expert.
Link 1
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/x6aJMwiJOYY?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Link 2
<iframe width="640" height="360"
src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-qm9iLhYMto?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Link 3

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/th5bv5zBDxA?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reaction score
If it were a random issue, I might be able to live with it. It's however a persistent issue with specific, embedded videos using Safari. All those videos play fine on youtube in Safari. That's why I at first figured the problem had to do with ClicktoFlash. However, even after uninstalling ClicktoFlash, I still couldn't see the same embedded videos.

Reaction score
Hi,

It is a really strange issue, the new account you created does this run with any type of limitation.

Willl keep pondering possibilities.

Reaction score
I found the culprit: it's an extension called Google Disconnect. Apparently some youtube videos won't show up when this browser extension is installed and running.

Does anyone know what "counter measure" is an embedded youtube video that allows to defeat (sort of) Google Disconnect?

I am sorry to have picked all you folks' brains endlessly. I am very grateful for the suggestions. I will follow the advice to make a new administrator account and make my user account a reular account. Thanks again!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I found the culprit: it's an extension called Google Disconnect. Apparently some youtube videos won't show up when this browser extension is installed and running.

So when you disabled this Firefox add-on (Google Disconnect), you could successfully watch embedded blog videos using Safari 6?

LeChuck said:
Does anyone know what "counter measure" is an embedded youtube video that allows to defeat (sort of) Google Disconnect?

Don't really understand what you mean, are you looking for a replacement for Google Disconnect?

I use DoNotTrackMe for both Safari & Firefox ...

As a test I installed Google Disconnect add-on in my Firefox and was able to view the embedded video at the better photography link you provided on page 3 of this thread so that's strange but I would totally uninstall Google Disconnect if it's the culprit.

Reaction score
I disabled Google Disconnect in Safari. I don't have that add-on in Firefox. As soon as I disabled Google Disconnect, I could watch the embedded videos that previously showed up as blank spaces.

I am not looking for a Google Disconnect replacement. Like you, I also have DoNotTrackMe installed in Safari. I would like to understand how the presence of Google Disconnect prevents the video from being visible. How is this done?

So when you disabled this Firefox add-on (Google Disconnect), you could successfully watch embedded blog videos using Safari 6?

Don't really understand what you mean, are you looking for a replacement for Google Disconnect?

I use DoNotTrackMe for both Safari & Firefox ...

As a test I installed Google Disconnect add-on in my Firefox and was able to view the embedded video at the better photography link you provided on page 3 of this thread so that's strange but I would totally uninstall Google Disconnect if it's the culprit.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
What version of Goog Disc do you have LeChuck?

Had the same problem - flash videos were not showing on Safari, snow leopard 10.6.8 - and I solved it!!!
By un-enable or uninstall an extension that I have called Google Disconnect 1.1 (this extension claims to "stop google from tracking the webpages you go to". Vualah...

Taken from here:

Safari will not play Youtube videos!!!

Ask a Question