Flash issue in Safari 6.0.4

Reaction score
Now I've run into a new issue. That one Website, where the embedded videos didn't show, now sports a dark "overlay" over almost the whole page. The page starts loading fine, then suddenly a dark grey, translucent overlay appears. This must have to do with me first disabling, then uninstalling Google Disconnect. Should I post a screenshot?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Is this what you mean?

Attachments

• Screen_Shot_2013-05-18_at_1.19.02_PM-20130518-133235.jpg.jpg
    Screen_Shot_2013-05-18_at_1.19.02_PM-20130518-133235.jpg.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 264

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
That's a flash issue, I get it very rarely, only on 2 websites actually when I went to them using Google. When I returned to them using the History drop down menu they loaded fine. Apparently it's Flash having a mind-fart ;)

Reaction score
I just saw the same overlay on another site, where I have never had an issue. There was a prompt: HD video codec is missing.

How did I lose the codec?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
So first things first. The original issue has been solved, no? We know it was Google Disconnect that was the culprit. So we can put that behind us. The fact that this add-on was causing problems has been acknowledged by the developer (https://getsatisfaction.com/disconn..._safari_breaks_youtube_embeds_blogger_layouts).

The black overlay issue happens to me also and I just live with it because I've been told it's a flash hiccup and it's not happening enough to drive me crazy.

So we have another issue - the missing HD Codec. Where exactly are you seeing this message, which website?

Navigate to MacintoshHD ~> Library ~> Internet Plug-ins and take a screenshot of the contents using Shift + Command + 4 & dragging to select, and I'll have a look ...

Reaction score
The original issue appears resolved. The embedded videos I couldn't see, are now showing up.

The new problem must have to do with the previous issue somehow. I have never experienced that Flash glitch (grey overlay) on any site, and I was never told on that one site a codec was missing.

plugins_zpse86db8cc.jpg

Reaction score
Alright, I got rid of the grey overlay on the forum by turning Java on. I generally have Java turned off, so I am clueless why having Java off would suddenly cause an issue.

EDIT: I turned Java off again, and now the grey overlay does not occur any longer. This is just weird.

For the other site, Java "on" makes no difference. Still see the overlay and am told the HD video codec is missing.

Reaction score
I would never download any software from a place like that.

It just can't be a coincidence that the grey overlay thing is happening on two sites just after I got rid of Google Disconnect. Next, the issue is resolved for one site by turning Java on and off again.

Do I have all required plug-ins? I posted a screenshot in an above post.

Reaction score
Hi,

Firstly pleased you found the extension and fixed the original issue.:)

Next, the issue is resolved for one site by turning Java on and off again.

Regarding this Java situation I will add that my good lady had real issues with watching a series on Swisscom a few months ago, had been fine for months then all of a sudden started getting this blank box, then on one occasion a message Java needed to be updated.
As soon as she turned Java on all was fine, which she did not like.
Emailed Swisscom numerous times and now low and behold all is back to normal.
So just maybe it is site issues not yours.

Reaction score
Alright, this is getting stranger: The grey overlay returned spontaneously to the forum that appeared "fixed" after turning Java on and off.

I uninstalled Flash again, and reinstalled. Now everything is okay on the forum, and on the other site I don't get the grey overlay any longer either. The "missing codec" prompt is still there, so that was unrelated to the grey overlay. I can only surmise that something didn't go right when I previously uninstalled and reinstalled Flash.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's all fine now. I will report back either way.

Thanks for all the help! Hopefully I won't need any help for a while.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
The "missing codec" prompt is still there, so that was unrelated to the grey overlay.

I get the "missing codec" at the top of that websites window too (www.movie2k.to) but have no issue with watching any of the videos there so I'd disregard that as the codec pack is for Windows 8/7/Vista/XP anyhow.

Reaction score
When the grey overlay occurred, it appeared as if the "missing codec" was part of the overlay. In retrospect I think I have seen the "missing codec" prompt before, but never paid attention to it. The prompt and the overlay are unrelated.

It now appears as if the grey overlay was caused by Flash. After uninstalling and installing Flash again, I am not having any issues any longer. I better knock on wood!

I get the "missing codec" at the top of that websites window too (www.movie2k.to) but have no issue with watching any of the videos there so I'd disregard that as the codec pack is for Windows 8/7/Vista/XP anyhow.

Reaction score
An update: Everything is now working as it should. The invisible, embedded video previews were caused by Google Disconnect (1.0.1), while the grey overlay was caused by the Flash plug-in.

I am now also using a standard account instead of an administrator acount. I guess I'll have to live with the constant admin/password prompts.

Ask a Question