Flash issue in Safari 6.0.4

Reaction score
Hi,

This is very good news congratulations as you have spent a lot of time at it over the last few days.:)

I am now also using a standard account instead of an administrator acount. I guess I'll have to live with the constant admin/password prompts.

Much the safest way to go.

Reaction score
Well, without the help of you guys I probably would have given up and not kept looking, so I thank you all very much!

Right now I am trying to find out why in my admin account, I don't have access to all folders in my standard account. I don't see any permissions options in User Accounts other than changing the account type.

Hi,

This is very good news congratulations as you have spent a lot of time at it over the last few days.:)

Much the safest way to go.

Reaction score
find out why in my admin account, I don't have access to all folders in my standard account
You don't! And messing with permissions will make an unholy mess.

You can either copy them into the Shared Folder, or to an external, than drag them into your new standard account.

Reaction score
By Shared Folder, do you mean the Drop Box in the Public Folder? The only Shared Folder that I see is in the User Folder, which contains an Adobe and a Library Folder.

What exactly do you mean by external folder? And how do I drag it from one account into another? I'm sorry, but all this is unfamiliar to me.

Reaction score
how do I drag it from one account into another?
This is what you need to do.

Yes, you can use the Shared Folder in the User Folder thats what its for, sharing files between accounts. Ignore the Adobe and Library folder, some badly behaved Apps install shared resources here.

Sorry missing word, external Drive, with the ignore permissions option (Get Info on the drive) enabled.

Reaction score
Thank you!

Just to make sure, Drop Box, which is usually used to move files between user accounts, should not be used? Since I am the sole user (have been the sole user until I created a standard account), I have no experience in moving files between user accounts.

Reaction score
I was not talking about Dropbox (cloud service). I was talking about Apple's Drop Box.

I want to be able to move any (copied) file from my standard account to my administrator account and vice versa.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I was not talking about Dropbox (cloud service). I was talking about Apple's Drop Box.

I want to be able to move any (copied) file from my standard account to my administrator account and vice versa.

Files dragged to the Shared folder can be accessed by other accounts but anything dragged to the Dropbox folder that lives inside each users Public Folder is for the eyes of that user alone and you will see this message:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-21 at 2.03.51 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-05-21 at 2.03.51 PM.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 253
Reaction score
I saw that pop-up window. It doesn't make any difference if I can see the file is really in the Dropbox folder, as long as the other user finds the file in the Dropbox folder.

However, using the Shared Folder seems easier.

By the way, if I enable the root account, I can see the content of any and all folders of any user, I believe? I suppose I shouldn't enable the root account?

Files dragged to the Shared folder can be accessed by other accounts but anything dragged to the Dropbox folder that lives inside each users Public Folder is for the eyes of that user alone and you will see this message:

Reaction score
Thanks for the link.

The problem with the grey overlay over pages, which apparently is caused by Flash, has returned in my standard account. For a few days everything was okay. I uninstalled and reinstalled Flash (it's already again a new version), but it didn't help. In the admin account I don't have that problem. Obviously I have not added any add-ons to the browser in the admin account, and I suspect the add-ons may have to do with it in the standard account. I disabled them, and the problem persists. I don't know what to do anymore.

EDIT: It seems that this time the FastestTube 2.1.9 Safari add-on is the culprit. It was enabled for the past few months and I had no issues. It just started suddenly today without me touching the installed add-ons.

Hi,

Maybe this will give a little insight into the multiuser architecture of OS X.

http://m.cnet.com/news/tutorial-permissions-accounts-and-file-organization/10343635

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
EDIT: It seems that this time the FastestTube 2.1.9 Safari add-on is the culprit.

Interesting, I have that add-on too and have been seeing the same Flash glitch as you since I installed it ... hmmm ... wonder if oldscribe has been experiencing this issue too ?

This is the issue, for me it's very rare but a couple of webpages have looked like the attached image and nothing on the page is accessible:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-23 at 2.42.19 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-05-23 at 2.42.19 PM.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 235
Reaction score
Hi,

hmmm ... wonder if oldscribe has been experiencing this issue too ?

Sorry I haven't, and do have both FastTube and ClickToFlash enabled, only thing I sometimes get is the blank screen with the little flash box in the centre and I just click this for the vid to play.
This is on Mountaion Lion 10.8.3 running Safari 6.0.4.

Heres an example from this morning.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-23 at 09.25.35.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-05-23 at 09.25.35.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 263
Reaction score
Hi SD,

I seem to remember but memory dulls a little that when running Snow Leopard a few years ago, I had a similar issue with FP and that was the main reason I got ClickToFlash.

Ask a Question