Flash issue in Safari 6.0.4

Reaction score
I have ClicktoFlash installed. In Safari (6.0.4), I used to see all embedded video previews on blogs and in forum posts. Suddenly, I sometimes see only an empty white field. My Flash is up to date (11.7.700.169). Even if I disable ClicktoFlash, I get the same empty field instead of the video preview.

Is this issue caused by ClicktoFlash? Could it be something else? How can I find out?

It is noteworth that in Firefox (20.0), the video previews that do not work in Safari, show up fine.

Thanks for any feedback!

Reaction score
Thanks for the response!

Could you please be a more specific as what exactly I should reset?

Clear history -- I can do that without resetting Safari
Reset Top Sites -- fine
Remove all webpage preview images -- fine
Empty the cache -- I do that all the time anyway
Clear the Downloads window -- fine
Remove all cookies -- I'd rather not!
Remove all website icons -- that feature is disabled
Remove saved names and passwords -- I'd rather not!
Remove other AutoFill form text -- I'd rather not!
Close all Safari windows -- fine

Reaction score
Hi,

Could you please be a more specific as what exactly I should reset?

As my first screen shot but sounds as if you do not want to do this. Also when you get the white box with no video, is it like my second screen shot? as there should be a very dim box in the centre that reads Flash.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-15 at 07.09.07.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-15 at 07.09.07.png
    42.1 KB · Views: 270
  • Screen Shot 2013-05-15 at 07.09.30.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-05-15 at 07.09.30.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 320
Reaction score
Naw, I don't see anything but a black space in the background color of the respective Web page. It doesn't matter if I have ClicktoFlash activated or not.

Here is a screenshot, showing a blank filed where a youtube video is embedded:

video_zps0a569751.jpg

Hi,

As my first screen shot but sounds as if you do not want to do this. Also when you get the white box with no video, is it like my second screen shot? as there should be a very dim box in the centre that reads Flash.

Reaction score
I have uninstalled ClicktoFlash, and I have reset Safari (save passwords and autofill). The problem persists. I've had this exact same issue last year for a while. I don't remember how it got resolved. :confused:

Try uninstalling ClickToFlash & resetting your web browser.

Reaction score
Hi,

You could try this,

1) Open then go to the Safari Menu Bar, click Safari/Preferences. Make note of all the preferences under each tab.
2) Now quit Safari, and go to ~/Library/Preferences and move this file com.apple.safari.plist to the Desktop.
3) Relaunch Safari.
5) Try YouTube, and if it's ok, move that .plist file to the Trash.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
AFAIK, I think YouTube might be fine, it seems to be just embedded videos in blogs/forums etc but removing the plist might work :)

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Well at least we know it's a Safari issue and maybe a new plist file will rectify the issue as per oldscribe's instructions?

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spawn_Dooley
Well at least we know it's a Safari issue and maybe a new plist file will rectify the issue as per oldscribe's instructions?

I`ll keep my fingers crossed:)

Reaction score
I moved the com.apple.safari.plist and I still can't see the embedded video. Should I go ahead and dump the plist anyway? By the way, there is also a "com.apple.safari.plist.lockfile." Do I need to worry about that file?

By the way, I have no issues on youtube, it's just with some embedded videos. I have asked others on those forums where those videos are embedded and they see them just fine.

Hi,

You could try this,

1) Open then go to the Safari Menu Bar, click Safari/Preferences. Make note of all the preferences under each tab.
2) Now quit Safari, and go to ~/Library/Preferences and move this file com.apple.safari.plist to the Desktop.
3) Relaunch Safari.
5) Try YouTube, and if it's ok, move that .plist file to the Trash.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Safari would have already recreated the plist file you moved so if all is well in other regards, you are safe to delete it. You can try removing the other one but don't delete it just-in-case.

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry that suggestion did not work:eek:, no you can leave the lockfile.

SD
you got there before me.

Reaction score
Hi,

One last thought, what account are you logged into? Try logging as a guest user or as another user.

Reaction score
oldscribe, your suggestion was a good one! I made a new user account, and now I can see the embedded videos. So what's been corrupted (?) in my main user account, and how can I fix it?

Hi,

One last thought, what account are you logged into? Try logging as a guest user or as another user.

Ask a Question