File Transfer Mac to Windows

Reaction score
How can I transfer a picture from my MAC to a USB drive and be able to print it on a Windows machine. I have several pictures I want to make into a book at my local Walgreens Photo Kiosk. Unfortunately their machine is windows based so when I download the pictures onto my USB drive and take them to the photo Kiosk I can not see the actual photo just an image of a "flower". I've used the disc utility to format the USB drive for FAT32 but the results are the same. What am I missing?

Reaction score
When you formatted the Flash Drive, did you also insure that the "Scheme" was "Master Boot Record"? I just went through that, for giving some files to a friend of mine, and the "Master Boot Record" scheme did the trick.

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I can not find where "Scheme" is so I can make the suggested change. My Disk Utility only shows First Aid, Erase, unmount, and info options.

Reaction score
When you click on Erase, the next screen will say "Erase (the name of the flash drive)"?, and then below are three entries:

Name (already filled in with "Untitled", but you can change that)

Format (already filled in with "OS X Extended (Journaled", but there is a down arrow that would would click, to change it to MS-DOS (FAT) or ExFAT

Scheme (already filled in with "GUID Partition Map", but again there is a down arrow that would would click to change it to Master Boot Record)

That explanation is for the version of Disk Utility that comes with El Capitan (OS 10.11.x).

Reaction score
OK, same software version but no there is no "Scheme" listed. I did check the info for the drive and it states that the "Partition Map" is "Master Boot Record" Guess I will download some pictures to it and give it a try. By the way. I do not have any problems reading or writing or exchanging data between the MAC and a windows machine when dealing with data files, Just pictures

Reaction score
You will see that after you select the Flash Drive in Disk Utility (at the "top", ie, Volume, level of the drive), and then click on "Erase". I actually did just that as I am posting this, sticking in a flash drive, and selecting "Erase". (I of course did not erase it, but the choices I mentioned above were certainly present).

By the way, I also have no issue with reading/transferring/writing/watching movie files (TV Series) on my Windows-formatted Flash Drive. And in fact, I am able to view them on my Samsung Smart TV (that's why it needs to be Windows formatted), my friend was able to copy them to the hard drive on his Windows machine), and I can still view them (using VLC) on my Mac.

Last edited:

Ask a Question