External Sound Card - Can See Input Levels, not no Sound output

Reaction score
Hello Forum,

I am new to the Apple (mac) word so apologies if this question is trivial. I have an external sound card (VAlinks) that is connected to a CD player (SPDIF). My output is a BOSE Champion5 speaker system. I have all PC audio outputing fine. However, when it comes to audio through the external card all I see (in System Preferences -> Sound) if the Output Levels going up and down, but no audio.

As I say, I might be doing something stupid due to my inexperience with Mac's, but any advices / suggestions will be gratefully received. - Do I need drives for this device?

Kind Regards,
Harold Clements

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X?
-Which model VAlinks?
-How is the VAlinks connected to your Mac?
-How are the CD player and the Bose speaker system connected?

C

Reaction score
Hello, and thank you for your reply.

-Which model Mac? -
MacBook 12" 2015
-Which version of OS X? -
EI Capitan 10.11.6
-Which model VAlinks?
Not too sure. Same as No. 8 in this review http://www.bestproducts.com/tech/gadgets/g1422/external-sound-cards-for-pc-or-mac/
- CM6206-LX chip I believe.
-How is the VAlinks connected to your Mac?
USB via external HUB
-How are the CD player and the Bose speaker system connected?
CD play via TOSLINK to the VALinks Sound Card (also tried analog phono to jack into the sound card). Bose via USB in same HUB as Sound Card.

Sorry for not more explicit in the original post. In my Windows 10 enviroment everything works fine (plug the hub into PC), so I have all the connection OK.

Thank you once more...

Kind Regards,
Harold Clements

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK...thanks for the additional.

From what I can tell, the VAlinks has a software sound mixer application that is available for Windows, but not Mac. That may be the key to routing the optical input of the CD to the Bose.

That said:

-Did you select the VAlinks as the input and output audio device?
-Do you have GarageBand installed, and can you hear the audio when software monitoring is enabled in it?

C

Reaction score
Again, thank you for your time and effort.

-Did you select the VAlinks as the input and output audio device?
Yes, I can see the levels going up and down.
-Do you have GarageBand installed, and can you hear the audio when software monitoring is enabled in it?
Just had to work out how to do that... Yes, I can hear the CD output. It's not very good quality - I guess the software is designed for mono guitar input etc...

Kind Regards,
Harold

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Definitely sounds like the software mixer would fix the issues you are having, since there are no gain/volume controls on the interface itself.

C

Reaction score
OK. I get what you are saying. Do you have any suggestions? Obviously, I want the BOSE to do 99% for the amplification to prevent distortion. I thinking that I only needs something small (not like the big DJ mixer type applications).

Again, thanking you...

Kind Regards,
Harold

Ask a Question