SOLVED Boot to Windows 10 on an external drive.

Reaction score
I found this out, more by luck than judgement.
I was setting up an old PC with a clean install of Windows 10, the target drive was to be a WD 1tb HDD, but before I commenced with that I thought I would install the OS onto a spare 60gb SSD that was lying around. I did the install and set everything up, switched off disconnected the SSD and installed the 1tb HDD and installed windows again everything working fine . I then wondered what would happen if I put the SSD into a USB enclosure and connected it to my iMac. With the drive connected I booted the iMac with the option key pressed and was given the choice of booting to the mac HDD or and EFI drive, I chose EFI and Windows 10 booted in no time at all, everything works OK except for the wifi, I am currently using the ethernet to access the web I am hoping to track down some suitable drivers to get the wifi working, but if not, no problem.
I quite like this setup because the mac side of things is completely isolated from the Windows side, Since I only use Windows on very rare occasions this will suit me fine.

As a bonus I can use the same drive to boot into Windows on my other iMac and MacBookPro.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Cool! Still strange, though, that there are Wifi/Ethernet issues with Windows 10.

Which Mac did you do the booting from? And is that Mac connected to your modem/router with an Ethernet cable? If so, there then must be a model/serial number of the device the ethernet cable is plugged into. You should then be able to get the appropriate Windows 10 drivers.

Still perplexing, though, why that is the case.

Reaction score
The 27' imac to start with, Yes the iMac is connected to the router via an ethernet cable. I have updated some of the drivers, but have yet to find the ones for the network adapter.

Reaction score
Network Adapter? Never heard of that one. My late 2012 Mac Mini is directed connected, via an Ethernet cable, from its Ethernet port to a port on the back of my Netgear router, and that device is connected, via an Ethernet cable, to my Netgear Telephony Modem. But I have no need for an adapter.

What "kind" of Network Adapter is it? And why is it necessary to have? Is that a requirement of your ISP?

Reaction score
The network adapters are a part of the computer, one for the ethernet and one for the wifi both are Broadcom devices from what I can see.

Reaction score
OK, I forgot that I saw that on my Mac Mini. But still perplexing why Windows 10 has difficulty recognizing it.

Reaction score
Just downloaded and installed win 10 drivers for the Broadcom BCM 43xx 1.0, and wifi is up and running.
Happy days :)

Ask a Question