How do I create a dual boot of OS X 10.5.8 and Windows XP Professional 64 bit?

Reaction score
I have recently acquired a PowerMac G5 (the same exact one from here: https://everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/specs/powermac_g5_2.0_dp_2.html). I am in the process of upgrading it to 8GB of memory and a 60GB SSD. Despite being old, from a hardware perspective, I like it.

I want to put Windows XP Professional 64 bit alongside of OS X for convenience (programs that do not work on modern operating systems even in compatibility or virtual machines and do not want to go through the hassle of troubleshooting each and every single one of them). I also want to perform a fresh install of OS X as the drive was not cleaned prior to getting it. I am more familiar with Windows OS than I am with OS X and I cant seem to find an online article or tutorial that addresses my exact situation so I am reaching out here for some help.

Also, while I am at it, I am considering upgrading the GPU, but I am getting mixed information if I can just slap any card into the AGP slot (granted it physically fits) or if I need very specific cards. In my experience Apple systems can be fickle with what hardware (if any) it can be upgraded with (such as RAM), but this old beast I got seems to be able to take any desktop DDR memory I throw at it, as long as it is a matching pair. Help here would also be appreciated.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It is possible to run Windows XP on a G5 PPC, but only under emulation in Virtual PC 7. PPC Macs cannot run Windows via virtualization like the Intel Macs.

I can tell you that if you can find a copy of Virtual PC 7 these days, Windows doesn't run very well at all, and it really isn't worth the effort or expense.

As for the video cards, you are correct in that you can't just install any card into the old Power Mac G5 (June 2004). There were very specific cards that were compatible:

NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 Ultra
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT DDL
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL
ATI Radeon 9600 XT
ATI Radeon 9800 XT

From memory, they were all Apple OEM cards designed to work in the G5 Macs. I don't remember any or recommend trying to use a flashed PC video card from that era.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
This may be a bit late, but thank you for the information as it was very helpful.

Ask a Question