Will I be able to open previously created files when I upgrade to a new OS?

Reaction score
Suddenly some of my Numbers files won't open. Message says I need another version. Many of the files still open with the version I have. To update Numbers, I have to upgrade to the current OS version. Will all my files open if I do that?

Reaction score
Typically, a new version of an application is backward compatible, so one would expect that a newer version of Numbers should be able to open files that were created with a previous version (or versions, in most cases) of Numbers. There are a few exceptions to that general statement I made in the first sentence. The most outstanding one is the excellent disk cleanup program Onyx. It has specific versions for each Mac OS. But that situation is rare.

I used to use Outlook 2011, Word 2011, and Excel 2011. When I upgraded to Outlook 2016, Word 2016, and Excel 2016, files that were created with Word 2011 and Excel 2011 were processed fine with the 2016 versions. Also, all my EMails that had been processed in Outlook 2011 were processed just fine in Outlook 2016.

Reaction score
Thank you. I know I need to update, but it's always a worry. I guess I'll have to take the risk.

Reaction score
A couple of questions/suggestions:

1. What exact Mac model do you have?

2. What Mac OS are you currently using?

3. What Mac OS do you want to update to?

4. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective? You actually can do quite a lot of disk cleanup on your own, and there are a number of excellent products available (both free and commercial) that can assist you with those tasks.

5. This is critical: are you making backups to an external device?

6. Are you using any third party (ie, non-Apple) software? If you are, make sure they are either compatible "as is" with the Mac OS you plan to upgrade to, or download the necessary updates. This site can help you with that:

https://roaringapps.com/apps

If it's been a while since you last updated the Mac OS, and especially if you have not done much in the way of disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, it might be best if you do a clean, fresh installation of the new Mac OS. However, that is where a backup is absolutely necessary.

Ask a Question