FCP 7 and Motion 4 Unable to Open Projects

Reaction score
This involves the latest Final Cut Studio, FCP 7 and Motion 4. I'm unable to open projects in either one of them. Here's what happens: Go and click open an existing FCP 7 project of small size with just a few minutes of material on the timeline. FCP 7 opens, fills the screen with its display window, showing all items in the project. Then, 3 to 5 second later, the program pops the spinning colored beachball and hangs. It does this every time. HOWEVER, if I open the FCP 7 program on its own with a virgin, unsaved timeline project screen, it does not hang. I can import clips and edit in a routine manner. But once the project is saved and I try to open it the next day, I get the hang described above.

~ ~ ~
Motion 4 does a similar thing except it begins to open, doesn't progress past displaying its "Motion 4" logo and then then pops the spinning beachball. Both Motion 4 and FCP 7 show similar crash report data. The first couple lines of each:

FCP 7 : PID: 236
Event: hang
Duration: 3.74s (sampling started after 2 seconds)
Steps: 17 (100ms sampling interval)

MOTION 4: Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000008
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
~ ~ ~

I have:
1. Killed out all FCP preferences
2. Repaired permissions repeatedly.
3. Run the full Cocktail routine
4. Done a total system check with the latest TechTool
5. Run the latest DiskWarrior
6. Tried Safe Starts and PRAM startups
7. Uninstalled FCP, killed out all preferences
8. Re-installed entire Final Cut Suite
9. Run a diagnosis with Digitalrebellion's FCS Maintenance Pack
9. Upgraded OS from 10.5 to latest 10.6

Nothing has made a difference. I still can't use either FCP or Motion, which is something of a serious problem for a news website news editor whose job includes deadline video editing.

I've searched Apple forums and the web and turned up many reports that seem to relate to a similar problem but no official information from Apple about what this might be or how to fix it.

This is seriously impacting my job and I need to find a way to repair it. I've been an FCP user for years and never encountered a tech problem I could not solve until now. Any suggestions or reports of similar issues and fixes much appreciated.

All other aspects of the software and hardware on my 17" MacBookPro work perfectly -- and I'm a heavy user of the machine all day long. FCP and Motion are the only programs affected by these crippling problems.

Ask a Question